All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-07-2018, 04:46 AM

Default magna bend

hi guys, thinking of getting a magna bend 1300 mm unit , due to there small foot print and over all versatility-

What are the pros and cons of these unit have hear they have some limitations ..

Thanks David
Old 06-07-2018, 05:31 AM
MetalShaper of the month Feb.-11, July - 2018, Sept. 2020

Biggest issue I've seen is the ability to fold a hem closed is relying on the magnetic force, and sometimes doesn't do as well as the apron brake would. If bending aluminum the magnet has no effect on the material so the capacity seems to decrease significantly.

Be sure to visit this page and click on #7, Getting more out of your Magnabend. Some good helpful hints.

http://aaybee.com.au/Magnabend/Magnabend_Homepage.html

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

McCartney Paint and Custom YouTube channel
Old 06-07-2018, 09:18 AM

An electro magnet will heat Al up if you tarry!
Old 06-07-2018, 02:57 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
Biggest issue I've seen is the ability to fold a hem closed is relying on the magnetic force, and sometimes doesn't do as well as the apron brake would. If bending aluminum the magnet has no effect on the material so the capacity seems to decrease significantly.

Be sure to visit this page and click on #7, Getting more out of your Magnabend. Some good helpful hints.

http://aaybee.com.au/Magnabend/Magnabend_Homepage.html

I think that page is via the Aussie inventor of the MagnaBend - and he has been heard to be very supportive of craftsmen getting the best out of his invention - despite whomsoever is currently copying the design.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:46 PM

I have a new version, probably made in China, which works very well; one advantage over the original Magna Bend is a clamp release button.

So far I have found no problems using it, the only limitation is 1.6mm steel maximum thickness,

Cheers Charlie
Old 06-08-2018, 07:33 AM

G Day Dave.

Ive had my Magna Bender for 7 years, their a good machine but you cannot do the simplest of bends with her, common to what we require.
Like trying to fold a U channel with flanges, or even a simple angle fold of 10mm x 30mm, as the magnets will not hold the clamp bar tight enough to fold something so small. The depth of fold is limited to thickness of the fold bar at 15mm.
It's frustrating that you can't even do a simple cross break in a sheet as the magnet and bar will tend to flatten the first crease you do, it's OK on small thickness sheet .06mm but anything thicker you fade the break. I had to make a new BBQ fat drainer tray and had to chase the 1st break by hand as it flattened out. The other day I had to fold some seat mounts with captive nuts, again simple U channel 13mm flange x 20mm high x27mm wide x 400mm long. Had to use a friends Pan Brake.
Radius bends are a treat as well as using other type of tooling for tighter or wider folds.
My experience since owning this unit, shallow tight folds will break the hold down bar, or it will slide away. The only way I have found I can achieve this is to fold a flange on a large sheet then cut it down and repeat as necessary.
In a nutshell,
To do all the folds the machine demos for you does them well. But rarely we need to use all those type of folds.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:46 AM

The Magna Brake is best suited to being a support unit for a standard brake.

When I used to do a lot of custom tanks it allows you to quickly do various radius' and get accurate closure of the seam. The radius bar is pretty much the same piece to make between an apron brake and the Magna Brake but there is no way you can close a 4 sided tank in a standard apron without some bench work. Much crisper in the Mag.

Rick
Old 06-08-2018, 06:48 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Hi,

I have the Baileigh Model BB-4816M 220 volt machine and I love it, it has become my "go to" machine for bending. I work with aluminum 99% of the time and have little, to no issues. I think the 220volt machines have much more holding power than the old 110volt machines. There are so many shapes that would be difficult to impossible to make on my old cast iron brake.
20180608_170225.jpg
20180608_170717.jpg

I formed up this aluminum box, material 5052-H32 x .050", box size 2-1/2" x 4" x 1/2" deep with 1/4" hemmed edge. Rather small, but challenging with conventional tooling.

20180608_180518.jpg
20180608_180523.jpg

To increase the magnet clamping pressure, while forming small steel or aluminum parts, place one size thinner steel plates on both sides of the part. It was not needed for this piece, but I'm showing the concept. I purchased galvanized steel (So it would not rust) 12" x 12" material and cut them in half. You use the steel (magnetic) piece, one size thinner than your part, to support the clamp bar. This eliminates the top clamp bar from bowing and only touching your part on the corners instead of the whole part.

20180608_170859.jpg
20180608_170923.jpg

For hemming the edge, I fold as far as I can in the brake and close the seam in the English Wheel. I have a flat lower die and in a few passes it closes the seam.

20180608_171211.jpg
20180608_171432.jpg

Because of the hem, .050" material + .050" = .100. So I add via tape a .050" scrap to support the center and now use my galvanized .100" spacers to do the final folds.

20180608_171551.jpg
20180608_171946.jpg

The Baileigh comes with a large selection of top clamp bars for most of shapes you would encounter. In the past, I have used other pieces of steel to back up the top clamp or as the clamp as well. I have a selection of steel clamp bars that I had made with welded on 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" rod to make a easy bend radius.

[ATTACH]47760

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180608_172217.jpg (46.0 KB, 37 views)

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.

Last edited by BTromblay; 06-08-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:34 AM

G Day Bill.

What is the narrowest you can fold on the Bailey, I also noticed that in the pic of the machine it appears to have 3 magnetic poles where as my only has 2, So they must of changed to 2 power coils, for better hold down clamping.
Would the Bailey be able to fold the size channel I mentioned in my previous post.
If so I may have to upgrade, and sell Dave my one.

Regards John
Old 06-09-2018, 07:50 PM

G'day Oldnek,
I made this yesterday and I can do three of the bends on the magnabender and the fourth one by hand.

Material is 1.2mm steel and the machine never lets go, even on the narrow flange which is 15mm.

I have used Bill's tip of placing some off-cuts under the small clamp plates to make them grip better and once I used some heavy steel plate to assist the process, but that is never needed on the long clamps.

S2:3 door rib 3.jpg

Cheers Charlie