All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-31-2019, 08:14 PM

Default Hearing loss/issues

I had to make a panel 2.5 weeks ago. I wasn't expecting to do metal shaping that day, and was unprepared.

I had to use what was around - 16 gauge steel, a ball pein hammer, a thin foam mat (for my sandbag), and a jack stand as a post dolly. I even have pictures of it.

I was not wearing ear protection, sadly. Ever since that day my hearing was muffled on my left side.

Over the days the hearing improved some, but I'm now experiencing a low frequency, rumble type tinnitus that won't go away and is driving me nuts.

I went to the ear doctor today, who determined I have hearing loss in my left ear, and as far as the constant tinitus, there's not much of a cure.

I'm telling you all this because I want to remind everyone to wear hearing protection every single time. I'm also hoping maybe others have experienced this and found relief...

Be careful out there.
Looking to build my own car from scratch
Old 05-31-2019, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I've had constant tinnitus for several years now. It doesn't bother me except when it's quiet...other than I don't hear as well. One day it was just there.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:28 PM

A medical doctor told me a few years back that the onset of tinnitus is the result of the brain deciding that it no longer wishes to "hear" the sounds that bother us, therefore the perception.

I weigh in in support of hearing protection!

I started collecting David Clark earphones at various garage sales years ago.

HF has some pretty effective protection at a reasonable price as well.

When it gets serious I use the foam inserts in addition.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:04 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2019

i too have constant tinnitus, it has slowly gotten worse over the past 15 years or so, as kerry said it's worse when it's quiet. i have heard of a product that is supposed to help you train you to tune out from the constant noise of tinnitus, i have not tried it yet though
Old 06-01-2019, 03:53 AM
Administrator

I recently splashed out on a pair of ISO Tunes earbuds, which work really well (when I remember to use them!). They're like normal bluetooth earbuds, but they provide noise isolation/hearing protection too.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:50 AM

I always have hearing protection on hand (recently i have got sloppy on when i use it), put a pair of ear defenders on every machine that makes noise a pair in the car a pair on the lawn mower. Don't give yourself a reason not to have hearing protection-use it even if you think the damage has already been done.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:43 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

I have had tinnitus for nearly 40 years going back to my blacksmithing days. Even though that was only for a few years, and worn ear protection ever since, the tinnitus never improved. I just don't want to make it worse. You just have to learn to tune the noise out as my hearing tests actually show I have exception hearing for my age except in the band the tinnitus is.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:02 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Superman quit living at my house a long time ago...

my ears weren't great when I started cutting stone 19 yrs ago. Some things, like working with your mouth shut even when you're wearing earplugs (as well as earmuffs), helps but damage isn't undone. A primary reason I have little ambition for anything louder than an English Wheel or hand swung hammer in my shop is that I'm really tired of the pneumatic & powered hammer noise.

Ever since opening my studio, I keep the most comfortable, highest rated foam earplugs I can get everywhere- around & in all toolboxes, on all of our vehicles, every shop & more and I wear them all the time. Buy a big box of them, not just a few at a time. You won't regret it. The only time I dislike wearing them is when I'm trying to go to sleep because it makes the never-ending whistling and whishing noise even louder.

I also keep spare safety glasses within 1-2 steps, if not within reach, of anywheres I might need them. It makes it easy to wear them all the time. A viable Dust collection system or at least a true P100 rated mask is the final part of the trifecta.

The way it's going, soon I'll need arms so long to see what I'm doing that neither safety glasses or earplugs will be necessary anymore....
Old 06-06-2019, 12:19 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

At some point in a biped's life, sooner or later, perceived invincibility fades and is replaced by a sense of self-protection.
Bipeds are issued one each sets of hands, ears, and eyes.
Take good care of them.

All else is theoretical, or profoundly personal.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:27 PM

Very good warnings. My wife researches hearing and is constantly reminding me to use earplugs in the shop. I recently picked up some Isotunes Bluetooth earplugs; easy to leave in all day so I don’t forget to wear them and they are a terrific way to protect hearing and listen to music. Great if you are working alone, perhaps not so great ina shop with many people.