All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-19-2013, 07:47 AM

Default Magnabend

I havent posted in a while due to alot of things going on around the house. I recently acquired a Roper whitney magnabend on the cheap at an auction from a race shop. The bender was in pretty good shape so I felt I couldnt really pass it up. I finally got to use it last night and to no aveil I couldnt get the magnet to engage to make a bend. I had used one some when I took Cal Davis's class in Crossville so i Have general idea of how tro use one. What I would really like to know if there is anyone on here that owns one and if they have ever had a similar problem? I'm going to try and contact some one from Roper Whitney today to see if I can get an owners manual to make sure I didn't miss anything. Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Billy, To get the magnet to actuate you have to first press the red button on the left side of the front panel and then pick up the bending handle. The red button puts a light magnetic hold on the metal and when you lift the handle full power is applied.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:56 AM

Joe, I knew that and when I pushed the button I kind of thought I smelled something burning. I found a diagram of what actually happens when the magnet engages and i dont know if it was from that or if something is possibly wrong internally. From what I have read so far this morning I shouldnt be having any problems. Thanks for the advice though.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

The guy who invented the Magnabend is an Aussie and apparently got so upset at the folks who immediately started duplicating his machine as soon as the patent expired (or before), he posted plans on how to build them. http://aaybee.com.au/Magnabend/Build...Magnabend.html Should tell you how to repair anything broken.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
The guy who invented the Magnabend is an Aussie and apparently got so upset at the folks who immediately started duplicating his machine as soon as the patent expired (or before), he posted plans on how to build them. http://aaybee.com.au/Magnabend/Build...Magnabend.html Should tell you how to repair anything broken.
Fascinating site! Thanks for posting.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:42 PM

Kerry,
I knew the guy that invented th emagnabend was an aussie but, not that h e was so upset he put out there how to build your own. Thanks for the info! Hopefully if something is wrong it will be a cheap fix.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Sweet! Thanks for that.

The Scuderia Obsoleto Blog
www.spannerdude.wordpress.com
Old 03-20-2013, 07:06 AM

After all the info from you guys yesterday and what i could dig up on my own I set out to the shop after work. I started looking in more detail at the machine along th ebottom and where i could take it apart and look at the internals. Low and behold i found where it appears that someone has hit the bottom with a HAMMER!!. I didnt even notice this when I looked at the machine at auction. So i want to ask if anyone know right off hand if they think this would have damaged the magnet? I obviously think it would have damaged the rest of the internals due to the sensitive nature of some electrical components. Any ideas?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Take a meter and measure input voltage at the in/out of the main switch to see if this is 120v .Then I believe it goes to the switch on the left side that activates the hold down magnet .From there I think it goes through a a device that allows the electricity to flow to the micro switch that activates the bar magnet and doesnt allow the electricity to flow back so as to allowing you to release the original button that you pushed on the left .I found that mine had a bad flow switch .
Old 03-20-2013, 07:49 AM

I'll give it a shot Dan. I think its going to be something like that anyways. I appreciate the info. Thanks again!