All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-06-2022, 08:08 AM

Default Radius brake

Does anyone have a radius brake, or made one? If so could you PM me a pic of the the adjustment bolts for raising and lowering of the different size radius bars and the follow tube? I want to make one similar to a radius brake sold by trick tools. I can't afford the price of a new one . Thanks in advance, Steve

never-ever kick a fresh turd on a hot day!
Old 02-07-2022, 03:11 AM

Hi Steve. If you need to make radius bends on the smaller side (2" and less) you can use a conventional brake with a tube clamped in its fingers to bend your sheet around its radius to create the shape. Ron Fournier's 'Sheet Metal Handbook', page 29 details this process clearly. I've used this method on occasion to great effect.
If you prefer to roll larger radii, (repeatedly and accurately) like the one shown in the trick tools video, then you will definitely need to make a machine dedicated to this purpose. I don't think is a particularly difficult build either. For the adjusters on the two rolls, you could consider using off the shelf self-aligning flange units like the one I've referenced as these provide both the bearing and the sliding adjustment in one ready made, inexpensive part - although the inner bending roll won't need to rotate during the bend.
Anyways, I'm sure you'll get plenty of creative solutions to consider from other users here, but this hopefully gets the thinking process started on your way to creating beuatiful parts...

adjustable bearing.JPG

Remember that the best of men, are only men at best.

Last edited by galooph; 02-07-2022 at 03:17 AM.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:34 AM

Default Radius brake

Manny, I've used the brake for smaller radius parts. I'm looking to do a full belly pan for a Track T. So that's why I need a bigger radius bend. I plan on making the radius that I need first and others as I need them. That way if I never need them I can make them, and spread the build cost over time. Do you have a link or info where to look for the part you have listed? I 'll try to find info, but if I can't could you send the info. Thanks for your reply. Steve

Old 02-07-2022, 12:19 PM

This is the way I did it.

4244A706-0538-41EE-8CE7-9F901A6218F0_1_105_c.jpeg

50550208-5E81-40D9-8172-1EE742B9E6C9_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 02-07-2022 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:52 PM

how far apart were the two large rings and what gage metal?? thanks-that is great!!!--pat
Old 02-08-2022, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfm1951 View Post
Manny, I've used the brake for smaller radius parts. I'm looking to do a full belly pan for a Track T. So that's why I need a bigger radius bend. I plan on making the radius that I need first and others as I need them. That way if I never need them I can make them, and spread the build cost over time. Do you have a link or info where to look for the part you have listed? I 'll try to find info, but if I can't could you send the info. Thanks for your reply. Steve

Steve, that is called a take up bearing. You'll get them at any decent bearing supplier. They come in a staggering array of sizes (metric and imperial) and as previously mentioned, are self-aligning due to the spherical bearing insert. Attached pic will show how they are set up.

take up bearing.JPG

Remember that the best of men, are only men at best.

Last edited by galooph; 02-08-2022 at 03:25 AM.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:55 AM

Default Bearing

Thank you Sir. That gives me another thing to check out, they look like that will solve the problem of up and down adjustments

Old 02-08-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pato1 View Post
how far apart were the two large rings and what gage metal?? thanks-that is great!!!--pat
In that picture the rings are 3 feet?? apart. The table is 4 feet wide. I used the rings because that was what I had to get the bend I wanted and steel because that what I had. You could use that heavy fiber glass. sewer pipe or even the power pole on the corner. You just need to figure out how to apply even pressure across the length of the piece your'e bending (2x4?). Maybe ratchet straps to help. The material in the picture was 18 gauge crs and I was making the cab corner for a Willys pickup.

Last edited by norson; 02-08-2022 at 02:38 PM.