All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-24-2020, 10:45 AM

Default A couple more noob questions about working thin brass

Thanks for answering my earlier questions - I'm the guy who was asking about making thin brass end caps for tubes.

My questions are:

I have none of the tools I would need for pressing or spinning (or punching, which is the one thing I probably don't need help with). If I bought one of those cheap mini metal lathes from China for a few hundred bucks, is it enough to do light spinning of thin brass? I imagine it might also help with other basic tasks. I'm sure they are absolute crap compared to the lathes used by serious metal workers, but I can't afford/don't have room. If it does make sense, can anyone tell me what features I should look for - like rpms or wattage, mandrels, chucks, other tools, etc?

If I wanted to stamp out the parts (again, very thin brass - 20 gauge), what would I need to buy - an arbor press? Something more (or less)? And is it possible to have the dies made somewhere for me that don't cost more than say a couple hundred bucks? Or if I bought a cheapie mini-lathe like I described above, could I make my own dies, or is that beyond the capabilities a cheap lathe?

Since I would be punching circles, and have no way to recycle the waste, do you think it makes more sense to buy pre-punched circles (if I could find them)? If I buy sheets, I'm guessing that half would end up as scrap that I couldn't do anything with... Thanks to anyone who's still reading!
Old 02-24-2020, 11:14 AM

If it's small parts like vacuum advance capsules/delay valves made from thin steel or brass you could try explosive forming or hydroforming, think the learning curve may be easier than spinning. Pretty sure Kent White will have the answer to this though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLs1V4ZLhLU
Old 02-24-2020, 12:38 PM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Even a bad machine can do a good job. At least something.
I'll send you a schematic of how to make a from metal plate lid on a lathe. It is easy.

DSC02638.jpg

My scheme:
1. You turn such a pin with the radius you need inside.
2. Make a wheel of sheet metal. Make a circle toward the center on lathe.
3. Make the bracket from ball bearing .
4. Clamp everything into the lathe and bend the hem towards the clamping head.

500 - 1000 rpm. You have to try and try like I do. We all. I know nothing but success. Even losing is victory.And not to be afraid.

Last edited by Jaroslav; 02-24-2020 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:02 PM

Thanks for sharing that picture. I'll have to get a lathe to try.

I was thinking that there must be any easy way to just use pressure to make an even cap right? What I don't know is how to get a die that will work. Do I have to make my own, or can I buy a couple that would fit into an arbor press (assuming that works)....?
Old 02-24-2020, 09:42 PM

Irubin28,

Yes you will have to make the pieces to turn the metal as Jaroslav shows. The dimensions are going to be unique to the product you are wanting to make vs dies that are for manufacturing, these are also made to fit the application.

It sounds like your trying to save money on something that possibly is going to be expensive for you to make vs having it made for you. The problem will be trying to find a shop that will make just 100-1000 pieces, they really need to make a lot more to be cost effective.

You might come up with a full game plan as to all the steps needed to make these and then figure out what tools you will need, then figure out the materials that you need, it might add up pretty quick.

Something that you might look into is a Makerspace and see what equipment they have available to test your idea before you go all out to find it needs a lot more than you have time or money for.

I may sound like I'm being a jerk, but you have a lot to do before you have anything to sell and you might be disappointed with the results.

Good Luck either way

TX
Mr fixit
Chris
Old 02-24-2020, 11:04 PM

20 ga. and aviation snips will go together just fine. Cut squares then hex to round . Sneek up on your round with small trimings . What Jaroslav shows will work . He is a magic man ,because he never quits till sucsess hits.
Make scrap till you get it right . The scrap has value at your local scrap yard. and in your head as schooling . check out "Useing snips" by Jere on this sight.
Have fun
Don
Old 02-25-2020, 12:23 PM

Yes thanks all. I'm not doing it to save money - I'm doing it because the quality I get from the vendor in Taiwan is awful. Also because of the quantity, no one wants to bother. Believe me, if I could find someone to stamp these out for me, I would.
(And it's not an 'idea' I have to test "before I sell anything". I already sell them combined with other parts that I can source.)

Which brings me back to my other question. I realize that spinning these isn't going to work for me for lots of reasons. But I think stamping might. My question is, could I make these 'caps' using an arbor press? And where do I go to get dies made? If anyone can answer these for me I'd appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr fixit View Post
Irubin28,

Yes you will have to make the pieces to turn the metal as Jaroslav shows. The dimensions are going to be unique to the product you are wanting to make vs dies that are for manufacturing, these are also made to fit the application.

It sounds like your trying to save money on something that possibly is going to be expensive for you to make vs having it made for you. The problem will be trying to find a shop that will make just 100-1000 pieces, they really need to make a lot more to be cost effective.

You might come up with a full game plan as to all the steps needed to make these and then figure out what tools you will need, then figure out the materials that you need, it might add up pretty quick.

Something that you might look into is a Makerspace and see what equipment they have available to test your idea before you go all out to find it needs a lot more than you have time or money for.

I may sound like I'm being a jerk, but you have a lot to do before you have anything to sell and you might be disappointed with the results.

Good Luck either way

TX
Mr fixit
Chris
Old 02-25-2020, 04:23 PM

Default Grease gun forming

You can make some amazing stuff with a grease gun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A66iw8P5NQ4
Old 02-25-2020, 04:34 PM

Any chance you could post a picture or diagram of the part (even without dimensions) You say "cap" to me that would be drawn part as opposed to a pressed/stamped part. look up "bonny doon press" on youtube and see if that gives you any ideas.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:21 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

First thing I would do would be to try making it with a hammer and a punch over a drilled hole. It would only take a few swings & a couple of tries to succeed or fail and move forward with a better understanding of the situation.

Drill a hole in steel scrap, probably all the way through and then clamp this to another piece of flat scrap so the bottom is easily finished as flat. deburr the entry edge well. then use the butt end of a drill bit that's a little smaller for the drift/punch and see what happens... I would plan to cut the formed cap from a larger sheet vs trying to locate & hold a perfectly round blank and stamp a finished part.

If it goes well, I would likely then try using one of my arbor presses, simply because that's what I have.