All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-31-2021, 05:00 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

You have done well Joel.
Tricky to work with aren't they.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:59 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
You have done well Joel.
Tricky to work with aren't they.
Very tricky! I think it's the combination of various metal thicknesses at the butt weld joints from mandrel bending along with the base metal being stainless steel. I say this because the butt welded joints moved more than the slip joints. But the slip joints were positioned on fairly straight tubing where the metal thickness is consistent. The slip joints also had enough give to make the small warpage related adjustments without "cheating" the bend radius.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:20 AM

I sometimes have to just run the tig torch over part of a finished weld to pull it in the direction I want to if already fully welded.

Old 09-02-2021, 09:29 PM

Post Header Fabrication in 304SS (cont.)

One header down, one to go. I welded on the double slips, collector tabs, collector extension, and O2 bung.

And with the rear chassis brace in place, only bits and pieces of the header are visible.

Now the engine and transaxle needs to be pulled from the chassis to build the other header.
Old 09-03-2021, 12:22 PM

Very Tidy! Patience of Job.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:11 PM

Post Header Fabrication – One step forward, two steps back

Given what I’d learned fabricating the aft header, I’ve been busy fabricating the header for the other side of the engine. The main difference between these two headers is that I was able to have the engine in the chassis while fabricating the first header, for this one it could only be done with the engine out of the chassis.

This header is located on the front side of the transverse placed engine between it and the firewall. So the only access is from underneath the car and with an 8 foot ceiling in my garage, the highest the car can safely lifted is jack stand height. My body just couldn’t take the many dozens of trips on a creeper under the car that would be needed to work out all the primary tube routing and bend placement.

I thought I had it all worked out with the mockup header, but upon final inspection it was hanging about an inch below the chassis bottom. So after making some changes to correct for that and making all the primary tubes equal to 28 ½ inches, here’s what resulted.

I was really proud of how it came out after welding up all the primary tubes and was about to TIG braze the primaries to the flanges when a niggling thought prompted me to put the engine into the chassis to double check the overall fit. Well long story, short, the header doesn’t fit. It hits on the passenger side motor mount base and also on a chassis rail. My first hope was that a couple of small tweaks could provide the needed clearance. But no, it’s pretty much start all over again as this one is all cocked up. The space constraints are so tight there is no margin for error.

I now see firsthand how helpful a car lift would be for this type project. Oh to be able to walk upright under the car to test fit pieces with the engine and chassis all there as a unit. I’ve been contemplating a move for a while and now a garage/workshop with a high enough ceiling for a car lift is definitely on the list of things for my next home.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:24 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Hi Joel

The header looks great.. sorry to hear that it will not work!

Hand built cars always seem to require making some parts more than once to get satisfactory results. If it was easy everyone would be doing it. You will figure it out i am sure.

Steve
Old 10-02-2021, 06:55 AM

What a shame after all that hard work.

When I was building my workshop I wanted it higher enough to have a lift. But because I was on a boundary on two sides, laws prevented me as there is a maximum height allowed to prevent over shadowing etc.

Old 10-02-2021, 08:54 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hamilton View Post
Hi Joel

The header looks great.. sorry to hear that it will not work!

Hand built cars always seem to require making some parts more than once to get satisfactory results. If it was easy everyone would be doing it. You will figure it out i am sure.

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
What a shame after all that hard work.

When I was building my workshop I wanted it higher enough to have a lift. But because I was on a boundary on two sides, laws prevented me as there is a maximum height allowed to prevent over shadowing etc.
Yes, hand built cars do present unique challenges. It's things like this that help keep us humble.
Old 10-02-2021, 08:59 PM

Post Header Fabrication – Restart on Header Two

As tough as it is to cut up a just fabricated part, I’m over it and busy remaking the front side header. My approach this time is to positively locate the collector position/orientation and then route the primary tubes starting at the collector working back up to the engine. The best opportunity to position the collector was while the engine/transaxle was still in the chassis so that’s what I did. I determined that only 1 of 4 primary tubes could be reused and this one still required one of the welds to be ground away to reorient one of the bends. So I did this while the engine was in the chassis to use it to position the collector.

After pulling the engine again, here’s what I’ve got.

The collector is set at a 15 degree angle where in the prior version it was horizontal. This angled positioning puts the collector above the chassis rail while still keeping it about 1 inch below the oil pan. Routing the primary tubes into the collector is more challenging with this new positioning and that’s why I’m starting primary tube routing at the collector versus the engine.