All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Software for Metalshaping
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2021, 01:50 AM
Metal Shaper of the Month, November 2012

Default Advances in scanning.

Ive had my new scanner about a year now. Its the Artec Leo. Fully mobil and handheld

thought I would share some of what I have figured out.

I use fusion 360 and I have used it since before the official launch of the product. The program is always changing but as of the posting of this it is still the best all in one program.

I was shaping and aligning panels on this vw that isnt called a vw. heb or something. I scanned another perfect front end that was disassembled and compared the two scans with this comparison. I was able to see I was about 5mm too far in on the front panel and I was able to compare how the part would fit without taking all of the time to assemble the entire car. from scanning to wirelessly sending it to my pc to comparing the two takes less then 5 min. Great for shaping rust panels too

one of the largest things I have learned is to just get the info you need. larger files are harder to work with so just scan what you need to work with. have a separate scan with the whole car for selling the design to the customer. Just do the main work with the smaller <50mb file size for faster surface modeling and t splining.

I can go hit a car lot at night before the dew settles and scan the side of a car with my evaporating spray on any black or shiney surfaces and be gone in two min. I didn't think much about it but walking up with a odd looking hand held thing and spraying a side of a car with a rattle can can get the cops called on you pretty quick. The evaporating spray works on air flow and temp so wait until evening so you look even more suspicious. All of this is for when your going to do a project and want to have all the bucks built and design finalized before a customer brings you a car to sit in the way.

Surface model your shaped projects. you can then use your surface modeling to slice the bodies that become your buck.

Scan to compare and critique your work.

for production products I scan 10+cars of the same time and come up with "best fit" so that they can make many happy customers.

If your local to greenville sc I like sharing my tools and making new friends.