All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

View Poll Results: Has Anyone Used Burt Weld & TIn Man Lenses
Only Burt Weld 1 16.67%
Only Tin Man Lenses 5 83.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-16-2022, 02:41 PM
Carl Hungness Carl Hungness is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 11
Default Wanted: Set of Burt Weld Lenses

The headline says it all. I am seeking a genuine set of Burt Weld lenses for welding aluminum. I do have The Tin Man lense which works very well, but I had an opportunity to compare my lense to the Burt Weld and I'd say the Burt Weld lenses are about 20% better. The Tin Man lense does work and would probably work even better if you are welding in the sunlight.
__________________
Carl Hungness Madison, IN
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-16-2022, 08:25 PM
crystallographic crystallographic is offline
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western Sierra Nevadas, Badger Hill, CA
Posts: 4,093
Default Why Shade difference? - (Edited 05-17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hungness View Post
The headline says it all. I am seeking a genuine set of Burt Weld lenses for welding aluminum. I do have The Tin Man lense which works very well, but I had an opportunity to compare my lense to the Burt Weld and I'd say the Burt Weld lenses are about 20% better. The Tin Man lense does work and would probably work even better if you are welding in the sunlight.
Poll: "Has anyone used both the Burtweld and the Tinman lenses?"

Answer: Yes, I have used both. And I know many others who have also.

Heard a lot of feedback on green welding lenses, since 1989.
"Better than Burts" has been heard a time or two, on the other hand ...
Every welder has hissown particulars ..... ..... Hanna, Epperle, Hagemann Sr, Troutman, Tweit, Remington, Berger ....
...... so many fab guys over so many years ..... ("Hey Kent, I love your lenses - still have my old Burts though, in a box on the shelf. Let me know if anybody wants a set of old Burts.")

FYI, "Shade" or "darkness/shading" of welding filter:

Burts are the S4 shade, "Light" shade for some brazing, welding some aluminum, (according to the AWS specs for welding filters.)

TM2000 are the S5 shade, "Standard" shade for general gas welding - including:
Welding steel, 4130, stainless alloys, cast iron .... and aluminum.
Meets ANSI Z87, current dates.

(Shade S3 - glassblowing lenses = didymium lenses, a combo of 2 rare earth oxides - praseodymium + neodimium = DI-dymium. )

Note: According to Optometrist info: "The need for light doubles after the age of 45. Doubles again at 55. Doubles again at 65." .... and etc.
Some folks reach their 70's without needing any correctives for vision.... maybe reading glasses?

Note 2: The odd duck that is "color blind" usually has good/excellent night vision / low light vision. (the rods and cones on the retina vary in ratio but not density. More rods = night vision, but means fewer cones = poor color distinction.))

(Gotcher Cobalts?)
www.tinmantech.com _ bad dog!.jpg
__________________
Kent

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.

Last edited by crystallographic; 05-17-2022 at 12:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-16-2022, 11:54 PM
Chris_Hamilton Chris_Hamilton is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southisde Virginia
Posts: 273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Heard a lot of feedback on green welding lenses, since 1989.
"Better than Burts" has been heard a time or two, on the other hand ...
Every welder has hissown particulars ..... ..... Hanna, Epperle, Hagemann Sr, Troutman, Tweit, Remington, Berger ....
...... so many fab guys over so many years .....

FYI, "Shade" or "darkness/shading" of welding filter:

Burts are the S4 shade, "Light" shade for some brazing, welding some aluminum, (according to the AWS specs for welding filters.)

TM2000 are the S5 shade, "Standard" shade for general gas welding - including:
Welding steel, 4130, stainless alloys, cast iron .... and aluminum.
Meets ANSI Z87, current dates.

(Gotcher Cobalts?)


Your TM lenses offer better protection for your eyes as well, right Kent? I for one don't want cataracts in my future.
__________________
Chris (trying to be the best me I can be)

Last edited by Chris_Hamilton; 05-16-2022 at 11:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-17-2022, 04:43 PM
Carl Hungness Carl Hungness is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Poll: "Has anyone used both the Burtweld and the Tinman lenses?"

Answer: Yes, I have used both. And I know many others who have also.

Heard a lot of feedback on green welding lenses, since 1989.
"Better than Burts" has been heard a time or two, on the other hand ...
Every welder has hissown particulars ..... ..... Hanna, Epperle, Hagemann Sr, Troutman, Tweit, Remington, Berger ....
...... so many fab guys over so many years ..... ("Hey Kent, I love your lenses - still have my old Burts though, in a box on the shelf. Let me know if anybody wants a set of old Burts.")

FYI, "Shade" or "darkness/shading" of welding filter:

Burts are the S4 shade, "Light" shade for some brazing, welding some aluminum, (according to the AWS specs for welding filters.)

TM2000 are the S5 shade, "Standard" shade for general gas welding - including:
Welding steel, 4130, stainless alloys, cast iron .... and aluminum.
Meets ANSI Z87, current dates.

(Shade S3 - glassblowing lenses = didymium lenses, a combo of 2 rare earth oxides - praseodymium + neodimium = DI-dymium. )

Note: According to Optometrist info: "The need for light doubles after the age of 45. Doubles again at 55. Doubles again at 65." .... and etc.
Some folks reach their 70's without needing any correctives for vision.... maybe reading glasses?

Note 2: The odd duck that is "color blind" usually has good/excellent night vision / low light vision. (the rods and cones on the retina vary in ratio but not density. More rods = night vision, but means fewer cones = poor color distinction.))

(Gotcher Cobalts?)
Attachment 63509
I did not have any knowledge of the need for additional light as one ages, so that fact may alter the equation. That being said, I like the Tin Man goggles and will use them but given my age I'd sure like to obtain a set of the Burt Welds. I have recommended the Tin Man lenses dozens of times over the past couple of decades to many fellow fabricators.
__________________
Carl Hungness Madison, IN
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.