All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-13-2022, 05:22 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Many thanks for the comments guys.
I think this forum understands me more than any other this thread is posted on, as many are like minded.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 03-13-2022, 05:23 PM

I had this glass cut, stamped and toughened to my templates during the Covid lock down before I had even chosen what colour I was going to paint the Willys! Could only get green the same as the windscreen, so that was fortuitous.

Problem I found was the extra weight of the large glass over the templates was too much for the universal electric windows I had fitted. So had to pony up the extra dollars for the SPW kit that runs the made in US GM electric motors. They lifted the glass no problem. Wanted these in the first place but are twice the price, now I have still bought them and the price of the first lot! I didn't use their included mounts and used thick strap and a nylon spacer for the bottom mount.

Top mount was just straight through the skin. With the bottom one angled away to follow the glass track, it left just enough room to still run the door handle rod past.

I clear coated the inside window garnish as didn't want it waxed like the body where I might rest my arm and also use window cleaner that would remove the protective wax. I did the same on the windscreen trim as well. I bent the inner weather strip up, https://www.crlaurence.com.au/crlapp...ID=20848&pom=0, to follow the around the bottom corners just like I did on the outside.

Rather than the factory staples, I used small rivets. I pushed them in and pulled the felt out from under the head.

Then compress the rivet in place and the felt falls back over the head to protect the glass.

Paint the head with a paint pen and it disappears from sight.

Fitted the garnish with stainless screws. I had lengthened them 4.5" and shortened the height by 2" a while ago now to suit the extra length in the doors and chop.

Not sure if the curve up at the ends show inside and out? The door lock is from the Grand Cherokee donor.

Front bottom corners follow the garnish likewise.

Looks less green once installed, but will tie in with the paint colour nicely.

Old 03-17-2022, 03:07 AM

Well done. As usual!
Old 03-17-2022, 04:23 AM

Thanks mate.

Old 03-19-2022, 06:23 AM

Back on the door cards. I'm using x-mas tree trim clips that were from my Jeep XJ Cherokee door cards. I like them as they can be added after the upholstery has been done as they screw in, so long as you have cut the slots for them beforehand. They can also be removed and replaced if one should ever break unlike the black one shown.

No fasteners will be seen at all once done. The armrests bolts are accessed through the open areas in the top and screw into the door skin via threaded inserts. Noticed I also have the door card going around the speakers so I could run as small a speaker grille as possible.

The top of the armrest pad is also held down by the same x-mas tree clips and also by an original screw at the bottom of the door pull pockets

Drivers side also has the memory seat switch which is programmed for my wife and I.

The taper on the armrests was worked out to give plenty of room for your elbow to rest on it, but also to make it parallel with the seat to compensate for the cabs wedge shape.

I mounted the armrest at the same height as the centre console so it feels like you are sitting in an armchair.

Old 03-19-2022, 08:19 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post

Back on the door cards. I'm using x-mas tree trim clips that were from my Jeep XJ Cherokee door cards. I like them as they can be added after the upholstery has been done as they screw in, so long as you have cut the slots for them beforehand. They can also be removed and replaced if one should ever break unlike the black one shown.

No fasteners will be seen at all once done. The armrests bolts are accessed through the open areas in the top and screw into the door skin via threaded inserts. Noticed I also have the door card going around the speakers so I could run as small a speaker grille as possible.

The top of the armrest pad is also held down by the same x-mas tree clips and also by an original screw at the bottom of the door pull pockets

Drivers side also has the memory seat switch which is programmed for my wife and I.

The taper on the armrests was worked out to give plenty of room for your elbow to rest on it, but also to make it parallel with the seat to compensate for the cabs wedge shape.

I mounted the armrest at the same height as the centre console so it feels like you are sitting in an armchair.
Simply top level work, Marcus.
Clean, straight, and very well thought out.
It's a joy to study the details you have so carefully worked out.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 03-19-2022, 08:55 AM

You do nice upholstery work as well! I have to ask- got any hammers?
Old 03-20-2022, 03:30 AM

Glad you like it.

Old 03-26-2022, 06:37 AM

More office furniture getting upcycled! Found a bin that had been thrown out along with the printer inside.

Unrolled it to see if I could use it for some door sill caps.

Using art dies so I can set my own bead width and spacing.

In the end I thought it would not be hard wearing enough over time as was only 0.6mm-24g thick and there was a lot of defects left in it.

So some might remember me collecting some left over stainless shelving from the local gourmet hamburger place and turning it into my letter box. http://willyshotrod.com/tools/StainlessLetterbox1.htm Well I had one left so it will be cut up for the door sill caps instead.

I wanted to group the beads close together like they are on the outside of the doors and cab etc. My small bead dies don't allow that but the art dies can be as close as 3mm-1/8" apart.

I did one side of the beads first before swapping the dies and doing the other side of them. Using art dies mean you have to do twice as many passes to make your beads. Twice the chance of not keeping them perfectly straight!

To finish off the beads I bored a hole the width of a bead in the end of some reo and then cut half of it away. I drew a line half the width of the bead forward of where I wanted them to end and hammered down onto my steel table.

Can make them more crisp by using a punch the same width as the bead and hit from the underside as well.

Helps remove the distortion from the end. The beads were stretched by hammering them from behind using some steel flat the same width as the bead. It came out perfectly flat afterwards.

The last fold could not be done in the folder as it has a 6.5mm-1/4" arc to it to match the door face. So it had to be started by using a tipping wheel and then finished off mostly by hand over a stake dolly. It was very hard to move as it is 316 stainless 1.2mm-18g.

I had to do a lot of sanding to get all the marks out from years of use in a kitchen. I left a brushed finish as much more practical to look after with something that will get scuffed all the time getting in and out.

Old 03-26-2022, 12:40 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Damn, I'm a stainless fabricator and you make nicer stuff than me in your garage.
They look terrific as usual.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154