All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-26-2021, 04:58 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Default Welding steel to aluminum ???

Has anyone used this tig rod or mig wire and how well did it work out https://alumasteeltigrod.com/ Thanks ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 11-27-2021, 12:04 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buchtenkirch View Post
Has anyone used this tig rod or mig wire and how well did it work out https://alumasteeltigrod.com/ Thanks ~ John Buchtenkirch

No, I have not used that rod or wire.

However, for many years I have "joined" steel filler-neck rings to aluminum aviation tanks - using the Northrop / Cessna / Piper factory method.

I do note, however, that these statements here, for this product, include "tinning/coating first with the 4043" aluminum filler.

If you get enough joint-length I suspect the strength would be satisfactory.

"Hot-joining" is usually preferable to "cold-joining."

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 11-27-2021, 12:07 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

A bit of an update……… I never heard of it myself. A good friend dropped by and was telling me they are now welding steel hinges onto aluminum sand trailers for durability. These are trailers that carry over 40 yards of sand and are pulled by over the road tractors so they don’t get babied around. I kinda didn’t believe him till I found the web site listed in my post above. So this is a totally new idea for me as well. ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 11-28-2021, 03:35 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buchtenkirch View Post
A bit of an update……… I never heard of it myself. A good friend dropped by and was telling me they are now welding steel hinges onto aluminum sand trailers for durability. These are trailers that carry over 40 yards of sand and are pulled by over the road tractors so they don’t get babied around. I kinda didn’t believe him till I found the web site listed in my post above. So this is a totally new idea for me as well. ~ John Buchtenkirch

I'm mentally translating what they are saying about what they are doing:
(using our national go-to for welding, "The American Welding Society" -

"Soldering is the (hot joining) process where by two metals are joined at a temp of less than 875F.

Brazing is the process whereby two metals are joined at temps. over 875F - and below the melting points of the two metals.

Welding is the process of joining two metals at their melting points."

Note here that lead (Pb) has a melting point of 651F - less than 875F - yet melting lead buss bars together is "welding" since the parent metal is is joined at its melting point.

Melting point of "aluminum" varies from 1275F roughly to 1050F roughly, and steel melts at roughly 2400F ....

By these temperatures it will be "difficult" to joint a 1250F to a 2400F without having some incandescence from the aluminum.

So, my brain stops at "Brazing these may very well be the correct joining process."

And... by the past 30 year history of "sales of hot-joining products" like Lumee-weld, Mystery -metal, Rocket-weld etc .... and the sales pitches of "it welds, it solders, it brazes, it will join any white metal like nuttin' else....

the claims are somehow somewhat reminiscient....

Note: "joint design" is essential for joints that are brazed or soldered. One could surmise that a heavilyloaded hinge, subject to repeated impact, would find a good home inserted through a punch/flared rectangle-opening of a nice tight fit, pre-tinned - and the hinge also pre-tinned - and the hinge inserted and held via fixture, and the Galactic-star Tig makes its perfectly-trained pass around the circumference .... Voila!

Waa-Laaa!

Bada-bing, bada-BAM.

(Might mention here that the 1950's Crosley 4-banger ENGINE, mfgd Oakland, Calif, was entirely and completely furnace-brazed together out of a considerable number of small bits and parts. Then finish-machined. Put in cars. Raced ....

-end

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:51 PM

Ferrari used a bi-metallic strip to join the aluminum skins to steel structure on the 456 and 550. The aluminum skins were MIG welded to the aluminum surface. It was tricky replacing damaged panels. Careful cleaning back was required to be sure to leave the full layer of aluminum (approximately.035), I would TIG the new skin. I felt I could control the heat better with the TIG despite what I was taught.

I don’t know where I learned that this was a common practice on aircraft carriers. The layers were fused using a form of explosive welding in an oxygen free environment.

Thanks for the post John. It sounds very interesting. Technology continues to advance in leaps and bounds.