All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-23-2021, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65
Default Kind of metalshaping related

Some of you have noticed I haven't posted much content lately. Well, there is a reason. About a year ago I started having problems with my right thumb. Sharp pain when I used it in certain ways...like grabbing a hammer or opening a beer...you know, important stuff.

Went to a hand guy and he x-rayed and proclaimed I had arthritis pretty bad. He said we could try steroid injections but they were very painful and didn't always work. He was right on both counts.

Pain has increased to the point that it hurts to do most everything and is a dull throb constantly.

He said surgery was a good option. The solution was good but the recovery was a bitch. Tomorrow I find out how good the solution will be. 5 weeks basically in a cast with the thumb and all 4 fingers and wrist immobilized and then there is several months of therapy. Apparently, I'll have to learn how to use it again. They take a bone out and change the architecture. Oh joy!

Really looking forward to this...not. But something has to change or I might as well sell my shop.

The really good news is that my left hand has started exhibiting the same pains. If the right hand comes out OK, I'll probably go ahead and get the left one over with.

I'll be around and typing with one hand.
Old 05-23-2021, 02:48 PM

Wish you a speed recovery, have had several hand surgeries for carpal tunnel, trigger fingers, etc. It's a bitch not having working hands. Good luck.
Pat
Old 05-23-2021, 02:52 PM

I had that surgery done. Wish I had it done earlier. No joint pain
at all after that. It's the only joint in my body that works right.
Old 05-23-2021, 03:45 PM

Kerry sorry to hear about your painful condition. Have you ever considered curing your arthritis instead of managing it? A low carb ketogenic diet will almost certainly reverse all your joint pains. I'm 67 and it's worked for me, I've been on a keto diet for six years and have no pains at all, also lost 33 pounds.
I really believe it is worth trying, it's only food, no medication involved. A google search will provide plenty information about the keto diet.
Old 05-23-2021, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Not real sure I understand how a diet change is going to solve bone on bone issues.
Old 05-23-2021, 03:52 PM

Arthritis is an inflammatory condition and the keto diet is extremely anti-inflammatory. I can assure it is worth trying.
Old 05-23-2021, 04:32 PM

Watch this YouTube video, this doctor's explanation is a good start.
https://youtu.be/ePg3V4iOBI4
Old 05-23-2021, 08:22 PM

Kerry, sorry to hear that.
Like they say, getting old is not for sissies!
On the homeopathic subject, people have benefitted from fasting as a means of resetting their inflammation response i.e. rheumatoid arthritis is one.

ærugo nunquam dormit
Old 05-24-2021, 02:32 AM
Administrator

Ouch, not fun at all. You don't realise just how much you use your joints until they start causing you pain.

Hope the surgery is a success and that you recover quickly.
Old 05-24-2021, 04:52 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Kerry, I hope your diagnosis is correct. In 2013, I was gradually paralyzed after a small operation of the appendix, to the point where I took command and instead of trusting the doctor, I wanted results from them. I had loss of cartilages, joint pain, inflammation all over my body. I couldn't start the car. My joints and muscles ached so much. I didn't tear off the magnet to open the top cabinet of the kitchen counter, and removing the plate tor eat was a problem. I raised my hands only to shoulder height.
I was already in the hospital waiting to die. Only lying body. Several further examinations were planned. I called the chief doctor. It was after 30 days in the hospital when my condition was worse. I said now or never. You have no results, I refuse further treatment. Now I think it will be. You'll relieve my pain. Then we will discuss what to do next.
They poured some mixture into me ....? Probably corticoids, but in 3 hours I felt manhood again and the pain disappeared. I did have even have water on my lungs anymore ...
It was truly a miracle.
With gradual rehabilitation with a minimum of medication, I am in quite good condition. I can forming the plate and make things. I have to work carefully.

Doctors are not always right. It is necessary to use a feedback system with respect to the results. A degree is nothing if there are no results. I escaped the gravedigger's shovel in part because I took command of the doctors. They didn't like me very much, but they admitted that I was right.

It all started with a hands pain. Kerry want results, trust is out of place.

Good luck Kerry.