All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Buck Building
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-24-2020, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65
Default Extreme shape...flexible bucks

Anyone who has spent any time with me knows that I am a fan of Flexible Shape Patterns (FSP) as popularized by Wray Schelin in the early 2000s. While they don't tell you squat about arrangement, they tell you EXACTLY how to create the shape.

This is an example of how beneficial they can be. The following photos are of Monique's left knee. It is EXTREMELY complex. The mannequin can't really be hammered on so I can't use it as a hammerform for shaping. Instead, I made a FSP. I use GLAD Press 'N Seal which holds nice and tight against the smooth surface and a couple layers of fiberglas strapping tape. The result is a perfect skin of the panel that fits the panel like a coat of paint. When it fits my panel like a coat of paint the shaping is DONE. Until then, if it's loose in the center, you stretch. If it's tight on the edges, you shrink. That's it.

20201012_132309_resized.jpg

20201012_132316_resized.jpg

20201012_132323_resized.jpg

20201012_132302_resized.jpg

Once finished, I chose a cut line where there was minimum shape. Originally, I was going to attempt this in one piece but quickly decided it would take forever and be a REAL challenge. So I cut it in half and will do two pieces.

20201012_132713_resized.jpg

20201012_134400_resized.jpg

20201012_134446_resized.jpg

20201012_135052_resized.jpg

So at first glance, this looks like a big bowl....it's not. Although the SHAPE is basically a big bowl. The ARRANGEMENT of that SHAPE is a whole different thing.

20201012_135110_resized.jpg

Like any bowl, I started by shrinking the outside and stretching the center.

20201012_140437_resized.jpg

Check the fit and repeat....check the fit and repeat...check the fit and........

20201012_140444_resized.jpg

20201024_160005_resized.jpg

As you get closer, you discover that there are a bunch of 'lumps' that have to be stretched in order for the FSP to fit tight.

20201024_160010_resized.jpg

Finally, it's a good fit. My new best friend, the Arbor Press is a great help in finessing the last little bits.

20201024_160016_resized.jpg

So here it is. Totally shaped with the FSP fitting tight all over.

20201024_160043_resized.jpg

Doesn't look like its a match does it? Oh Ye of little faith. Years back, I was working on the decklid corner for a Model T at Roger and Uncle Johnny's April Fools Meet. I was working out of arrangement and against an FSP. My panel looked nothing like the part I was trying to make. Mark Denny (Sugar Momma Choppers) was watching intently and skeptically. Finally the FSP fit correctly and I pronounced it done. Mark said "Kerry, I ain't seeing it!"

Without even looking at the panel, I put it against my knee and pulled hard. The panel went POP and went into perfect arrangement. At the same time, I told Mark, "When the FSP fits the panel it WILL go into ARRANGEMENT. Until it does, it won't." I have no idea where those two sentences came from but they are truth!

As the photos below show, with a few bumps of a plastic hammer, twisting and persuading, it's pretty dang close. Obviously a good bit of detail work remains to smooth the finish.

20201024_163940_resized.jpg

20201024_163949_resized.jpg

20201024_163958_resized.jpg

There are SEVEN slope changes (reverses) in this small...less than 1 foot square panel. SEVEN! This is probably the most complex single thing I've ever attempted in metalshaping.

Short of making a hammerform out of fiberglas reinforced bondo or concrete, or something else, I know of no other way to have duplicated this panel. I'm not saying there isn't...just that I don't know what it would be.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:08 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Good work. Great result. I'll try this tape.

I would like to know what the model, according to which the mannequin is made, would tell you that you are making a statue according to it. Maybe she'd be pleased with how long you've been hugging her. Maybe it does her good from a distance.

It would be interesting to compare your made knee with the original model today.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:54 AM

Congratulations on your patience. This artist probably missed her:

https://pl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wenu...los_edited.jpg

Witold
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VTz6ETWQhnKyqUQYA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzcKlFjOAoE
http://forum.poziome.pl/index.php?topic=1989.0
Old 10-25-2020, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslav View Post
I would like to know what the model, according to which the mannequin is made, would tell you that you are making a statue according to it. Maybe she'd be pleased with how long you've been hugging her. Maybe it does her good from a distance.

It would be interesting to compare your made knee with the original model today.
Jaroslav, I looked for a suitable mannequin for a year before I found her on Ebay. Most mannequins are just 'clothes hangers'. They are not very realistic and didn't have the muscle tone I was looking for. This one was made from a real person. There is a company on the US west coast that makes molds from real people.

This particular young lady was about 17 or 18. I've tried to 'age' her by adding realism. For instance, to make her more realistic, her breasts are larger and droop a bit and she carries a good bit more weight in her butt and throughout her body. For the mannequin, I simply added bondo until I built her up about 1/2 inch on her backside blending down into her sides. One of the more fun bondo sanding experiences I've ever had btw...

I'm not trying to make an EXACT copy but if the muscle tone is wrong she will look odd. Also, mannequins have smaller than normal hands and feet so I've made her more 'normal'.

All that said, it's an art piece and like Venus de Milo, she is supposed to look like she looks. Only Alexandros of Antioch, the creator of Venus, would have been able to tell us if she was not a perfect copy or if he took artist liberty.

My point in this thread was to point out the only way I know to duplicate a shape without a hammerform etc.