All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Software for Metalshaping
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-04-2015, 03:14 PM

Default Advice

Hi,
I am currently in the process of rebuilding a 1932 Alvis 12/50 TJ, starting with an abandoned rolling chassis. I will be finishing the chassis work shortly and then I have the daunting task of building a new body from scratch.
What I should like to ask the members is,(taking into consideration that I am quite poor with computers) is there such an idiot proof programme that will allow me to take and rework a photograph to redesign a body shape by altering it, eventually coming up with a shape that suits me and also be able to take measurements from.
I know that I might be asking a lot but I am not capable of driving a full blown CAD programme and I figured that this might be a better option than making and scrapping dozens of full size templates until I got something that I liked, any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you all in advance,
Andrew.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:57 PM

Thumbs up

Hey Andrew, I'm a firm believer that CAD should stand for Cardboard Aided Design.

I don't say that flippantly. You can flesh out and form some basic design elements quickly with minimal effort. Before making the fairing for my bike I did print out some pics of it and sketch some ideas of what I needed. When I built my jet boat I spent a lot of time sitting on a milk crate making motor noises which helped the ergonomics and deciding where to mount things. I'm good at visualizing what I want but still needed some stuff for my mind to work with.

You should be able to lock in your seats, cowl / firewall and radiator pretty quickly and flesh out the form from there. Good luck and post pics.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:38 AM

Default Ranchero

Thanks very much for that, this is where I started..
image.jpg
Old 09-05-2015, 08:40 AM

This is where I am now...
image.jpg
Old 09-05-2015, 08:42 AM

Hopefully, to something like this, in the not too distant future...
image.jpg
Old 09-05-2015, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Andrew I feel you pain. I don't do CAD either. Years ago...Y E A R S... there were these things called opaque projectors. Basically you could lay a book or photograph on the surface, it would project it on a screen or all. The further away, the larger the image. I have one that is probably 40 years old.

If you could borrow one of these, you could literally cut and paste photos and sketches and project them onto a wall life size.

Once you get the profile you like, you could use this to project on a white paper wall and trace/measure the areas you want and create templates and even a buck of sorts.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:21 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

I've recently discovered white board paint which can be drawn on with dry erase markers. This would work well with Kerry's suggestion for the use of a projector.

Don't believe everything you think.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:58 PM

Thank you for your input, I think that I might make the bonnet and possibly the scuttle as these are sort of dictated to by the radiator shell, I will then only have the back 3/4s to worry about. Does anyone have any ideas for the body frame, timber or steel? I am not the best woodworker although this is more fitting for the car, steel 1/2"-3/4" box section would be easier to fabricate, but not to attach to, Your input is greatly appreciated, thank you,
Andrew.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:44 PM

Google's image search has helped me out a lot when trying to find different pics of stuff I'm interested in. Looks like you should be able to pick up most of the lines if you have a known point of reference for a dimension.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1932...w=1680&bih=961

Also, I think wood would be more period correct and a great learning experience to work with.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:07 AM

Thank you Jamie,
Yes, I do agree with you that wood should be the way to go, especially with today's modern laminates making structures much stronger than they would have originally have been, plus, I did fancy a go at a bit of wood "steaming"
The back end you show is something along the lines that I did have in mind, maybe slightly more tapered, the deciding factor will probably be the spare wheel, I would like to put it in a boot, as opposed to on the left hand side, where it was originally.
I still have a couple of weeks of mechanical work yet before I can start on any body fabrication, engine assembly to complete, rear axle to mount and then a fuel tank to fabricate.
image.jpg
This is what it should look like, I only have a couple of chassis mounting brackets. Would you recommend soldering the tank together, something that I have never tried on this scale, or welding, along with the distortion that it causes? Once again, thank you all for your input,
Andrew.