All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-01-2021, 05:27 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Paying the price of not pre-stretching the beaded area enough. You would have seen how big the bulge was in the previous post, but it needed more. Note the T stake I made that suits the bead that I will hammer over to stretch it. What I did get right though was carefully working the very first bed side I made so I can now use it to build the tailgate.

I started stretching over the stake just using a panel hammer, but it leaves the surface rough. I switched to using the chaser instead and can see on the top bead how much better it comes out.

I have now worked the right side and only done some on the left so far. Takes hours as all have to be stretched equally right along the whole length so they match each other and stay straight and level. I am not going to worry about getting it perfectly flat in the middle of the panel between the sets of beads, as that will be cut out later for the logo to be welded in.

I am trying to see if I can do a full closed rectangle for the bottom frame rather than just plug welding it to a piece of box tubing. Hammering down on the timber offcut away from the new fold to start with. In this case centred over the previous fold.

This fold I couldn't complete as it hit the support legs. My welding bench is made from two different sized old barbeque plates. Where the top plate stops short is very handy for finishing and crisping up folds. I hammer the bolster into the corner and the fold increases.

Hammer my flipper with the mallet to remove any dents from all the hand folding work.

All nice and square and smooth ready for the last and hardest fold of all, to close the rectangle.

I packed the area inside the fold with lengths of flat bar as could not buy it in the dimension I needed. I have been hitting it upwards to bring the last fold over from the bottom.

I made this makeshift bolster to help bring the fold over as the normal one was too tall and I risked hitting the top roll in the panel. I also used this to hammer along the fold line over the rubber mat before I started. This helps the fold start better and keep it from moving off line.

Came over really well and it is sitting there fully closed without any clamps or even spot welds yet!

I folded up the ends with a recess for where the cable stays will go later. Another 'Z' section sits over the top of the side flange and comes down onto the face to make it 50mm-2" wide. Same setup as the factory tailgate has. The centre is cut out ready for the WO logo. Have to wait to see what it came out like in the next instalment when I have time to weld it all in!
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:11 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

hi Marcus

you never take the easy route, but always get great results!

thanks for sharing.

Steve
Old 08-03-2021, 05:38 AM

This time I TIG welded with a 1.6mm-16# lanthanated tungsten and 0.9-0.035 MIG wire for the filler rod. The thinner wire left even less to grind at the end. I welded it from the back this time as had easier access.

With just the right amount of planishing on the welds I got all the distortion out and everything it sitting nice and flat.

The back side was fully detailed as well as will be able to see it when the tailgate is down.

Getting the full picture for the first time really how the proportions worked out. I like it as it looks masculine and suits a utilitarian vehicle! Not sure if to create my own hinges, pivot point must be right on the edge of the bottom fold, or just use stainless heavy duty piano hinge. Even stainless external building hinges would work.

The valance and roll pan balance out better now too. Going to change the hitch cover though by removing the badge and folding a mid steel skin over the stainless to make it flush. Swap the stainless LED licence plate lamps for black ones as well to remove a bit more bling. Lot more to go on it yet including the 90* bend to make the bedside top roll flow into the tailgate etc.

Old 08-03-2021, 11:47 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Damn.........looks great.
Even though the logo is a bit crooked.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 08-03-2021, 12:08 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2018, August 2021,November 2023

That’s amazing, and even more so amazing to know that you fabricated it 100% from scratch! Very impressive (as is this entire truck)!

Dane
Old 08-03-2021, 12:38 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Damn.........looks great.
Even though the logo is a bit crooked.
That's ok. He could just let some air out of a couple of tires to square it up....

Seriously, that looks really good Marcus.

What about doing a more typical pickup tailgate hinge configuration, with a horizontal pin or stud & pivot receiver that mounts between the bed sides and the bottom corners of the tailgate or similar? Then the hinges won't foul with debris or moisture.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:56 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffrod View Post
That's ok. He could just let some air out of a couple of tires to square it up....

Ha, just trying to give him a little startle to start his day.........

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 08-03-2021, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffrod View Post

Seriously, that looks really good Marcus.

What about doing a more typical pickup tailgate hinge configuration, with a horizontal pin or stud & pivot receiver that mounts between the bed sides and the bottom corners of the tailgate or similar? Then the hinges won't foul with debris or moisture.
Yes, that I what I am thinking of making. Have been looking for a OEM one but they have been way over kill for the lightweight tailgate I have.

Old 08-03-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Ha, just trying to give him a little startle to start his day.........
Ha ha, nice one. Measured to the millimetre I can tell you!
Damn camera angles make it look like it is a bit though!

Old 08-03-2021, 07:13 PM

Spectacular build , thanks for taking us along !!