All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
Register All Albums Event Calendar Today's Posts Search
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-17-2021, 03:32 PM

Default Hello From Northern Virginia

Hello Everyone,

Been reading a lot of great posts recently, thus, I decided to join so I can continue to learn so as to help with a project I’m looking into. The project involves either restoring a car, building a kit car (like a Factory Five kit), or doing something in between, but making some custom modifications.

Have a degree in Industrial Design and have been playing around with CAD/CAM, 3D Printing, and molding & casting for about 10-years, just small/personal projects. Now looking to take on something substantially bigger/more challenging (the car project). I plan to spend at least a year or two (or whatever is needed) to explore all the various areas that will be involved so I can figure out what’s feasible and affordable, and what I can do and what I’ll need to farm out to the professionals to complete.

I enjoy big complex projects that take years to complete and as long as I can keep the wife from noticing the dollars disappearing from the checking account (shucks, the water heater has to be replaced again....and, ‘yes honey, we need to change the tires every year’) then I can keep on tinkering. Overall, I’m confident I can build a car, but just need to figure out if I should stick to the $25 car model kits and enjoy my weekends or if I’m going to spend my nephew’s inheritance. Either way, I think this group will help me determine that and I look forward to all the amazing knowledge and experience that this site contains.

Thanks,
-Patrick