All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-02-2021, 03:21 PM

Default linear/ radial stretching

Now while I know the difference between linear and radial stretching (at least I think I do). How does one know when to use either one? What are the clues that a piece needs to be stretch either radially or linearly?
Old 08-02-2021, 03:30 PM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

TJ. Don't look for science and names. Learn to make paper templates. They will show you all directions. Paper is the basis. It will show you the direction.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:52 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjratz View Post
Now while I know the difference between linear and radial stretching (at least I think I do). How does one know when to use either one? What are the clues that a piece needs to be stretch either radially or linearly?
Hi TJ
if you wanted to make half of a beach ball, (hemisphere) where the crown is the same in all directions you would use radial stretch. Starting with a metal disk, the most stretch in the middle and gradually less as you move outward. A round tool is used to cause this kind of stretch. The metal will increase in surface area north to south and east to west. Most shapes are created with a blend of shrink and stretch to keep a more uniform metal thickness. In this case the outer portion would be shrunk.

An example of linear stretch would be if you wanted the hemisphere to have a flange around the outside so that you could fasten it to a flat surface. This would require that the flange be the same circumference as the sphere at the bend line but would need to be longer at the outer edge. the stretch zone needs to be like the shape of a piece of pie. very little stretch at the point and a lot more out at the crust. this could be done with stretch dies in a mechanical stretcher or by thinning the metal with a rounded chisel or chisel end of a body hammer into a shot bag or a firm rubber pad. you could also stretch into a void cut out of stump.

Steve
Old 08-02-2021, 06:17 PM

Well said Jaro!

Read the paper pattern and find the answers there,

Cheers Charlie
Old 08-03-2021, 03:42 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Long narrow shapes like channels and angles that need to be curved (outwards) are shaped with linear stretch techniques.
P1060856 c.jpg
On this part, above, the stretch dies leave marks showing their distinct imprint (track). This circle started out as a straight 90 flange. One edge was stretched back and forth very evenly and the curve eventually formed into a circle. Even though the marks now radiate from the center of the circle, the stretching was done using linear dies and only moving in a linear direction whilst keeping the shape 90deg to the flange, at each point of die contact.

Large areas (lily pads/reverse shapes/saddles/flips) which need curved surface areas lifted up are stretched with radial methods.

W_R finger pattern c.jpg
The "paper pattern," which has been previously mentioned here, shows how the shape does radiate up and out. In metal, this will become a radial shape that is also reversed/flipped.

P1010070 c.jpg
Resulting radial shape.
See radiating lines of stretch marks, coming from center of panel and radiating out to the shaped, lifted edge.
A modified linear stretch die was used - in a radial method.
If you simply shape "back and forth" on a panel like this you will discover that "bunching" happens at the ends of your passes. See the little one on the right end?
Using radial shaping techniques, consciously, makes for even radial shapes - with no bunching.

and etcetera :
One finger fit, wingroot fairing copy.jpg
H1 tail panel done, R copy.jpg
P1010202 copy.jpg
gearleg fairing, Waco c.jpg
P1020859 copy.jpg
P1040246 copy.jpg
P1050830 c.jpg
P1030887 copy.jpg
P1090190 copy.jpg
P1000225 copy.jpg

For myself, I have only begun to discover the shapes I really want to make, so my understanding is yet incomplete.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.

Last edited by crystallographic; 08-03-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:46 PM

All very useful and helpful insight and knowledge. Thank you everyone for clearing it up for me. I greatly appreciate it!