All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-15-2022, 11:59 AM

Default goggles

Kent
Your mail box is full. My message was: I'll buy two.
Old 03-15-2022, 09:12 PM

Kent, I sent you an email through your business yesterday. I will try to call on Wednesday. If you have some available, I would like to purchase a pair. Your site said they were out of stock so I didn’t ask for them when I purchased the lens. I was welding today and the elastic strap on mine is just a pain to deal with. I unsuccessfully looked to see if I could rig something up with an extra magnifier set I have. Sometimes there just is no good substitute for the proper tool.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:19 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mullin View Post
Kent, I sent you an email through your business yesterday. I will try to call on Wednesday. If you have some available, I would like to purchase a pair. Your site said they were out of stock so I didn’t ask for them when I purchased the lens. I was welding today and the elastic strap on mine is just a pain to deal with. I unsuccessfully looked to see if I could rig something up with an extra magnifier set I have. Sometimes there just is no good substitute for the proper tool.
...Thanks Rick .... got busy with machinist today.
But just found our product image of a slick pocket-item for welding vision enhancement ...
TMTech Buddy Holly special welding safety eyewear.jpg
The old Jackson headgear we have sold since 1994 has been harder to source than ever. ... I've even given away old tired models of mine to "torched desperados" ...

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 03-18-2022, 03:56 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2020. October 2023

Chris, I expect to see them come back on at a market price. These were priced for a re-seller at $12.00 when some of the strap model represented as steampunk were asking up to $50. Keep an eye out for them. I had an order in at Fastenal at quote of $29.00 but I don't think they realized they had been discontinued.

As a follow up of my repair of the plastic arm model which had a date of 1989, the other side broke, but I was able to find a pair with plastic guides but steel arms. I adjusted the focal length with cheater lenses and stacked them on the TinMan filter so I had the correct focal length with corrective lenses.

Last edited by Reno; 03-18-2022 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-18-2022, 05:32 PM

So, that's how you do it. I was moving in close that I got a sunburned nose and cheeks.

Driving home late, I was stopped for a tail light and the CHP ran me through a field sobriety test.

hahahahaha!
Old 03-18-2022, 05:51 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2020. October 2023

That's it Marc. I spend time at the rack in the welding store testing the cheaters at a comfortable welding distance without resorting to tilting my head back for the reading distance. It ends up to be from 16 to 18 inches. It make quite a stack in the goggles but there is enough room.
Old 03-18-2022, 06:00 PM

Been using them since the 90's (don't ask my age !!!)

Felt like injecting a little humor.

Along with the age, even with adjustable shades, I find stronger light is helpful'

FWIW
Old 04-17-2022, 09:21 PM

Having done very little gas welding, why don't we use a standard welding helmet when welding with gas?
Old 04-17-2022, 10:33 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettW View Post
Having done very little gas welding, why don't we use a standard welding helmet when welding with gas?
Perhaps you mean "standard welding helmet" to be the ones that are used for electric welding? Like MIG, TIG, Stick-arc welding, and sub-arc?
Electric welding methods can emit intense arc rays that burn unprotected skin with UV and IR radiation. And the intense sparks emitted by stick-arc welding can also seriously burn the skin. Hence the full-head covering provided by these sturdy industrial helmets.

On the other hand, the simple gas-welding goggles need only protect the eyes from less-intense "open flame" radiation, IR radiation from hot metal and small sparkles emitted from a small molten steel puddle. The skin does not need nearly the amount of protection from small open flames that it does from intense electric arcs.
The lens shades give you an idea, by comparison: gas welding steel needs a shade 5.
Arc welding steel needs shade 9 to shade 14.
Aluminum and stainless welding also need the same relative shades, but you get darker faster by using an electric arc on shiny reflective metals.

Hoping this helps ...

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.