Looks good! Inspirational!
Old 07-11-2021, 04:52 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmarks View Post
Looks good! Inspirational!
Thank you Chris.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:46 PM

As always excellent.
Good on you. Your patience and attention to details pays off.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pehr View Post
As always excellent.
Good on you. Your patience and attention to details pays off.
Thank you Pehr.

Have the original 1948 Willys Truck tailgate mocked into position. Not sure now if to modify this to suit or build something simpler? With all the details in the lower panels its looking a bit busy? I still want it set inwards with a roll top and bottom, but then maybe with just a simple step like around the taillights and doors etc in from the edge? Or one without the I pressings each side would tone it down and just have the WO?

Maybe a plain tailgate skin between the top and bottom rolls and the pre-war type pressing with the smaller WO and the three beads each side like in the middle of my sign?

When I mean step around the edge, I mean like this but not flush to the front.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:27 PM
MetalShaper of the Month July 2021

What a dilemma we make for ourselves. I like the original tailgate. If it only had the WO in the center without the other swages it would look awesome. Once you get paint on as well, it will change the looks.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnz View Post
What a dilemma we make for ourselves. I like the original tailgate. If it only had the WO in the center without the other swages it would look awesome. Once you get paint on as well, it will change the looks.
Ha ha, you are so right. Keep making more work for ourselves, but it is what sets us apart.

I think you are right that paint will tone it all down more as well. Too many reflections from the chrome and unpainted steel right now as well.

Old 07-15-2021, 03:12 PM

I like that old gate as is. Until I read your concerns my first reaction was, Wow.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamcar View Post
I like that old gate as is. Until I read your concerns my first reaction was, Wow.
I should have kept quiet about it!

I just started to make a whole new one from scratch instead. Be a nice challenge doing the WO logo with its varying width and height. Not that it has to be a replica at all.

As these tailgates are so rare now, best if I don't cut it up and sell it to a restorer instead.

Old 07-19-2021, 11:02 AM
Administrator

I really like the original tail gate. Doesn't look too busy to me and it would be the only original unmodified part on the truck that I think would be nice. When you put the cover over the bed the only think people will see if the WO. Just my thoughts.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:13 PM

I have decided to make a new tailgate from scratch. I can't use this rare factory one as is anyway, because it is the wrong size for my custom bed, so would end up only using the WO logo, (Willys Overland), from the middle. Better to sell this to a restorer for their build.

It is easy enough to just bead roll or emboss the logo as others have done if the letter width is kept the same as well as the height. But I want to have a go at following the factory style for the W which is the hardest part of this logo. Having the original there next to me has made making this layout easier. I am also reducing the overall size and width of the letters by 10% to suit my tailgate.

The letters are not a round bead but a V shape. I achieved that by using my tipping die on the bottom rather than the round matching profile. It gave exactly what I was after. I started with the O first as the W ends up in the foreground if done after. Rather than stopping and starting, I thought it would be easier to get continuity if I ran around several times without stopping until I got the height needed.

I shaped an old cold chisel to match the shape I wanted for the ends of the bends where the W passes through the O.

Used another flat faced punch to knock down the space in between the beads.

Now as the W changes in width, I cannot use the same setup as the O. So I am following the outline of the W while pulling up with the sheet to create the fold. This is slow work that has to be accurate every single pass.

I then flipped over the sheet and pressed the tipping die into one of my old road racing roller skate wheels. It has a soft durometer to allow the metal to push into the middle of the letter. The process was repeated back and forth a dozen times.

When I saw no more change in height of the W on the bead roller, I switched to stretching the metal by hand to get it up to the factory height. Just using the wedged end of a hammer as a chaser by moving it along the letter while hitting it with the brass mallet. I raided the recycled tyre paver from the cat run which worked great for this! https://www.clarkrubber.com.au/.../3...nvironmentally... Stretching the areas between the letters to flatten everything out was done directly on the bench without the mat.

Also planished it by having the letter over the edge of this stake and carefully hitting with a small hammer on the outside.

The results of 3 afternoons work during our fifth lockdown was worth it. I learnt more of what can be accomplished with the tools I have. I think that it is a good facsimile of the factory pressing and I can go on with making the rest of the tailgate which will have a custom design to suit my build.