All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Buck Building
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2021, 07:59 AM

Default Newbie built buck

Newbie trying to learn metalshaping. Tried to fabricate metal fish but don't have the skill set for that .....yet. No project car and no room for it so thought to try a scaled model of a car. Something simple and organic. This is my effort to build a scaled model buck of a sprint car to use to learn metalshaping skills As much computer and CNC as possible used as I have that skill set and tools.

b) Edelbrock_Speedcar_1949.jpg
This is the sprint car model I wanted to make into a buck

c) Blender blueprints.jpg
I use the 3D modeling program Blender 2.8. It is powerful and free. The sprint pictures were cut up into front, back, side and top views and placed, scaled, and aligned in the Blender program.

d) Blender Sprint car model.jpg
The model was formed around the pictures. This is a simple block modeling approach as I am still learning the software. Once the model was good enough to use it was exported as an STL file to Fusion 360 Slicer.

e) Fusion 360 Slicer Buck.jpg
F360 Slicer is a free stand alone Buck design program that can be integrated with Fusion 360. There are endless choices in F360 Slicer but if you keep it simple a decent output can be obtained. Fusion 360 is not required

f) Slicer DXF Buck Patterns.jpg
Once the buck model looks ok in Fusion 360 Slicer, DXF images of the buck patterns are produced and saved for use in VCarve Pro, a CAM program for CNC routers.

g) VCarve Pro Long toolpaths.jpg
h) VCarve Pro Short toolpaths.jpg
The dxf buck files are used by VCarve PRO (definitely not free) to nest the patterns and generate tool paths for the CNC router.

i) CNC Routing frames.jpg
The frames are cut out on a 4x8 cnc router

l) Assembling.jpg
After a bit of trial and error the cut frames are a really good fit and slide together.

a) Half scale sprint car buck.jpg
Scale model buck and some nose and tail end pieces for off buck shaping. Some tweaking and fairing needs to be done. So far it is cheaper than a project car.

Now to try and fit some metal to the shape!