All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Stuff For Sale > Heads Up Announcements
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-17-2013, 05:16 PM

Default Another E Wheel/ Ebay Scam?

Just a word of caution to anyone tempted to bid on this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2513593261...84.m1423.l2649

Photos previously used before last September and once again in a fairly inaccessible part of the country (I think the last time was the Highlands). Unfortunately three bids have already been submitted but I have reported it.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:53 AM

Phil,

I've just reported it as well. I reckon that's the 4th time I've seen that listed and I still can't understand why people bid on an item from a seller having no feedback. Folks ought to wise up to these scams and do a bit more research before bidding and getting stung. Hopefully it will get taken down shortly.

Gareth
Old 10-18-2013, 02:05 AM

Ha ha Isle of Wight used this time.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:41 PM

Good to know someone else is on their case Gareth, besides reporting it I also asked them if I could come and have a look at it - surprise,surprise... no answer.

Mitch, it shows how little research they've done beforehand. A ticket for the IOW ferry would double the price.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:29 PM

Default Isle of wight?..

Just a little ditty, not connected to this scam, but a few months ago I bought a set of 8' pyramid rollers from a guy on the IoW. They'd been on eBay for a while with no takers. I made him an offer, taking into account travelling costs from the Midlands.
On the Sunday, I set off from Brum at 6.30am, caught the 9am Ferry, drove about 15m to pick up rolls, luckily I have a large van, so they went in the back, got back on ferry again and was back home by 4pm, the Mrs couldn't believe how quickly it all took place,
The ferry cost me about £70 and they shuttle every hour.
So after taking into account the diesel and ferry costs, I reckon I saved about a £1000 from buying it on the mainland.The rolls are mint, they'd been used by GKN Aerospace on the IoW until they closed about 10yrs ago.
So don't dismiss items from the IoW, there's bargains to be had

No matter how clever you think you are, stupidity is always one step ahead!!!!
Old 10-18-2013, 07:47 PM

Martin.

Totally agree about the IOW.

As a refuge of people of a certain age, there's probably more engineering treasures in abundance there than Rolls Royce's in Hong Kong. Perhaps this is why this E wheel scammer thought it was a good location.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxakarudy View Post
Just a little ditty, not connected to this scam, but a few months ago I bought a set of 8' pyramid rollers from a guy on the IoW. They'd been on eBay for a while with no takers. I made him an offer, taking into account travelling costs from the Midlands.
On the Sunday, I set off from Brum at 6.30am, caught the 9am Ferry, drove about 15m to pick up rolls, luckily I have a large van, so they went in the back, got back on ferry again and was back home by 4pm, the Mrs couldn't believe how quickly it all took place,
The ferry cost me about £70 and they shuttle every hour.
So after taking into account the diesel and ferry costs, I reckon I saved about a £1000 from buying it on the mainland.The rolls are mint, they'd been used by GKN Aerospace on the IoW until they closed about 10yrs ago.
So don't dismiss items from the IoW, there's bargains to be had
They pick the locations because they are out of the way and most people won't travel to check out the item before the sale, it use to be Scotland but they've gone offshore now.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:18 AM

I also reported this listing yesterday, directly when I discovered it. Lets hope eBay removes it soon.

Marcus
Old 10-20-2013, 01:01 PM

Well it would appear that due to inaction on Ebay's behalf, someone else has been scammed out of a significant amount of money. Despite being reported it is now showing as "best offer accepted" before the end of the auction. I can only hope they get their money back under the protection scheme or that the Police are involved and waiting to pounce, I somehow doubt it though......
Old 10-20-2013, 04:20 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Minton View Post
Well it would appear that due to inaction on Ebay's behalf, someone else has been scammed out of a significant amount of money. Despite being reported it is now showing as "best offer accepted" before the end of the auction. I can only hope they get their money back under the protection scheme or that the Police are involved and waiting to pounce, I somehow doubt it though......
I've reported another scam on eBay TWICE and NOTHING was done about it. The scam is still ongoing (guy selling fake Bugatti radiator badges as authentic.)