All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-12-2010, 09:03 AM

Default learning project

Hi I noticed an old thread on metalmeet about scratchbuilding a $10000 sports car, i think the format was to get as many people involved as possible and do a step by step build proceedure, this sounds like it would be great fun and would be great experience for beginners like myself or even the more experienced metalshapers.
The project itself doesn't have to be a sports car or even a $10000 budget but could be something that we as a group could build simultanious so we can compare our work and for people like myself get as much feedback as possible.
I appologise forhand if it bad etiquette to copy an idea from metalmeet or if this has already been mentioned on this site

Thanks
Joe D
Old 12-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Joe, there is a lot of history in the project that you are talking about. The amount of work that it takes to put something like that together is unbelievable. It takes a lot good leader, lots of planning and logistics play a big part in being successful.

Group builds of anything can be done but the amount of work and time and effort it takes to make it happen is unbelievable. Keeping peoples interest in a long term project is almost impossible.

One of the best group projects that I have been involved with was the dedicated shrinker build at Bennett Chapman's shop. I have also been involved with the group build shrinker/stretcher project. Both are documented here on the site.

Kerry's Art Deco Roadster is an off shoot of the project you referred to initially. He can add a lot to the group build project as he has been involved with most of them.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

As Joe said, it's a leader thing. Someone has to step up and say, I'm going to build it...or at least I'm going to build my version of it. And therein lies the problem. No design my committee is ever going to make everyone happy.

I LOVED the Bugatti build design except I wanted a roadster and needed it to be something I could actually fit into....what a novel idea

All that aside, a group design exercise similar to what I just posted on the car hauler can generate a lot of interest and some great ideas. At some point, someone may decide to take some or all of the ideas and build something which, hopefully, would be documented in another thread.

I'd suggest starting a new thread in the automotive projects forum titled.

"Building a inexpensive sports car...a design study"

Lay out the design goals, limitations, concepts, etc similar to what I just did on the hauler, then sit back and lead the discussion. It will evolve into several different approaches that we can split off into separate threads if necessary.

Should be interesting!
Old 12-12-2010, 12:49 PM

I was thinking of some small projects/challenges to begin with,something that we could compare end results and techniques.
Maybe even a large project broken into say 6 parts over a year.
i beleive if we use reasonable time scales to complete our parts it would help to keep a loss of interest.
Again i am a complete novice and would like as much imput as i can get

P.S.
Can this thread be moved to the correct forum or would i have to start it again?

Thanks
Joe D
Old 12-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Moved the thread to General Discussion.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:35 PM

I like that idea but I am also a complete novice, everything i look at on the forum seems to be way above me. Maybe all the novices should make something simple together? cheers! Dave.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

What's that saying..."a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step". Or something to that effect.

Trust me on this, you want to have a lot of time to think and plan BEFORE you start. If you don't know why I say this, read the art deco roadster thread.

By coming up with a design you want to build, you can make a plan, identify what you have in terms of skills and tools, decide what you want to do yourself and what you can farm out, obtain the necessary tools and skills, and do it.

Or you can just start like I did and do everything three times.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:21 PM

I think a pedal car is more within our range than a full sized roadster. Or in my case one of the doors on a pedal car!
Old 12-14-2010, 03:39 PM

I had an idea for a project that might be a good project for a group of novice metal shapers. I semi-scale model V-2 rocket. It's a straight forward design.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:04 AM

Hi Mike, looks a cool project but with things like they are at the moment in the UK I'm sure the anti-terroist police would come knocking on my door as soon as my neighbours catch a eyefull

Joe D