All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-07-2020, 10:07 AM

Default Where to buy Hammer Handles??

After comparing some of my shop Body Hammers to Dan Shady's fabulous collection, I quickly saw that my 'mutts' didn't show as well as his collection does, ...so I spent the majority of Saturday cleaning up my hammer heads and repainting them with a proprietary shop color. Now I need some good hammer handles that won't break my piggybank as I need about 10 new handles. Anyone have a favorite source that I should looking at buying from??

(Mine are pictured below in orange, ...Dan's are the eye candy ones! )

TIA

BodyHammer2.jpg

BodyHammer1.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

BRENT in 10-uh-C
...Elizabethton, Tennessee
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Old 12-07-2020, 12:10 PM

Dagger Tools has handles that are similar in size and shape to the original Proto handles. Still larger than the Proto handles but you can cut them down to be pretty good facsimiles of the original ones, especially if you have an original one or two to go by. They are good quality and priced fairly
Old 12-07-2020, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Why are there saw blade cuts on that orange head Brent?
Old 12-07-2020, 02:57 PM

Hey Kerry, I am converting that one to be a small door skin hammer.

I mixed the paint and added the hardener without remembering to finish that one. Since the paint & hardener mixed had a limited pot-life, I just skipped finishing that one hammer and painted all of them. I'll touch it up when I get it finished.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
...Elizabethton, Tennessee
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Old 12-08-2020, 08:40 PM

“House handle.com” has every kind of handle that you could imagine
Old 12-08-2020, 10:42 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2018, Jan. 2021

I re-shafted all of my old abused SP hammers a while back. They don't sell shafts any longer, but did find a local stockist who had Picard shafts. However the Picard shafts didn't come with wedges and I needed some wedges...

I was so frustrated in the whole process (seems you can't just by wedges any longer in New Zealand) that I drank a bottle and a half of Chardonnay and posted a lengthy rant on my facebook page. Warning - some of the language is a bit blue if you are tempted to read.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00007302045338
Old 12-08-2020, 11:00 PM

I just make my wedges. Steel or wood, no problem. Beats running around town or trying to find them on the internet. Only takes minutes.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:56 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Richard.

"Well in my humble opinion, the World is completely fucked."

I totally agree with you. Work and creativity have been replaced by virtual reality. It's easier to look at the screen than to get your hands dirty. All of us who work with our hands will be stuffed and installed in the museum. On your forehead you will have the inscription "The last fool who liked his job and felt that he would make a living from real work."

On our side was the central system of the economy. In the shops, it was what you didn't need. It was planned for 5 years. That is, wedges to hammers? Order? Impossible. Ask next month. Nobody cared anything. But sometimes it got into the store and there was a lot of it. That one assortment that no one wanted.
Many people have learned to improvise. An angle grinder was also a problem. The first free-angle angle grinder for free sale, wheel diameter 150 mm, appeared in 1988 !!!
You have no idea how in luxurious you lived. But you haven't had to look for anything in 40 years, so I understand.
Now is all you don't need much. The younger generation does not understand. The difference between quality and waste is not visible at first glance.

E.g. New car. How long does he not need service. And the prices? Why should an control light bother me and block the ride. I hate a car with debile wires in it.
Old 12-12-2020, 05:50 PM

Default Handles

I like Dagger Tools faceted hammer handles for those of us that watch for hammers at swap meets.

https://www.daggertools.com/m5/DT-Ha...dle-wedge.html

However, it does take a bit of shaping to get them into vintage hammer head eyes. It sure would be nice to find a handle source that more closely replicated vintage handle designs.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:28 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
I like Dagger Tools faceted hammer handles for those of us that watch for hammers at swap meets.

https://www.daggertools.com/m5/DT-Ha...dle-wedge.html

However, it does take a bit of shaping to get them into vintage hammer head eyes. It sure would be nice to find a handle source that more closely replicated vintage handle designs.

The old 8-sided handles with the curvy profile are my faves. Bought a few of them in 1980 when at the end of their availability - and when Proto Tool company was still advertising for forging hammer operators....

Getting the eye right is a prob.
And the curves.
And the facets.
Hand skills needed, after studying a number of new handles (vintage now).

I use a 2X48 belt sander w/120gt to profile hardware store blanks and eyes for my own replacements. (yes, my company has had a lot of hickory handles made here in the US, and I have been to a number of wood handle shops in India. Have not yet found anyone interested in making the right ones, at all.)
Some body tool companies make non-faceted spare handles - about 1.5 inches too short.
sigh,

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.