All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
Register All Albums Event Calendar Today's Posts Search
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-20-2022, 01:21 AM

Default The Tissue Guy's Introduction

Hello, To answer your question, I was tagged with Tissue Guy about 25 years ago when I was involved with organ and tissue donation/transplantation.

I have never been a metal shaper other than as a rank amateur. As I am 76 and retired, I probably will never rise much above this level. That being said, I am fascinated by metal, how it is shaped and formed into objects seemingly impossible.

My introduction to this forum was through reading Jack 1957's amazing transformation of a 1949 Cadillac. Wow is inadequate!

Over the years I have worked as an automobile mechanic, parts man, telephone installer/repairman and central office switch repairman, sales of industrial/commercial wood and metal doors/door frames, electrician, pastor, hospital chaplain, organ and tissue donor developer/educator, planned giving developer and a variety of functions with the American Red Cross.

I have been married 54 years next month and have 3 grown children.

When I retired I began restoring old woodworking machines as a hobby, the oldest from about 1900, the newest 1982.

Many years ago I learned very basic techniques for straightening auto body parts. Life has taken me in other directions but I still would like to learn more about the methods which ca be dome with simple hand tools.

I have no illusions about becoming an expert, but a thirst to develop the skills to be creative with metal.

Thank you

Paul
Tissue Guy
Old 04-20-2022, 05:47 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Welcome Paul, you're in the right place.
A hockey puck and a steel half ball are good for shaping bowls, for example in a small lever press. And simple EW.
Renovation of joinery machines? Band saws with a suitable frame? I'm happy to dismantle it. Woe to every suitable saw I see. I extend the life of every saw in over new task by at least 100 years. The frame is a great base for EW.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:34 AM

Hey, TG !!

Don't sell yourself short.

Went to one of the Santa Cruz Metal Meets, Kent White, Ron Covelle, Lazze, Gene Winfield, Jere Kirkpatrick and others gave presentations in subject areas more or less about or consistent with automobiles,

Then there was this Great Guy from the Netherlands? (Per?) who did a demo creating a rose from metal ! (Sorry for my poor memory on the name!)

Exquisite!

Lots of opportunities to express yourself in metal that don't require a Yoder!

Onward and Upward
Old 04-21-2022, 12:23 AM

Default Thank You!

Marc and Jaroslav, thank you for your welcome. Long ago I learned that if I really wanted to learn something, I was able. Developing skills based on that learning can be another matter, but if one never attempts the skills will never be developed. Probably my largest obstacle is my self-expectation. It is very hard for me to create something only to have unsatisfactory results. I have said for many years that I am not a woodworker, even my sawdust is not straight. I understand it is a matter of developing patience, having high standards for each small part of a job and proper execution and being willing to redo/remake when necessary.

I marvel at the high level of craftsmanship I see on AMS. But certainly they came through years of development, trial and error.

I think it would be appropriate for me to buy a few square feet of metal and start on small and simple shapes and projects. I like the idea of hockey pucks and steel balls.

Paul
Old 04-21-2022, 10:38 AM

Great to have object goals, but probably more practical to focus on developing the basic skills that lead to achieving object goals you admire.

Think of learning how to swim. You have the interest and fascination, and as your skill set improves you move from waders, to pools, to swimming hole, lakes and then the ocean.

FWIW,
Old 04-23-2022, 03:11 AM

Marc, What you say makes sense! Will do.

Paul