All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-27-2012, 07:19 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldtoride View Post
I have learned so much from this thread, thank you for taking the time to post and share with us. Your posts are so detailed, it obviously takes a great deal of time to document and subsequently post what you are doing. I personally don't do a lot of "atta boy" posting, but you certainly deserve a lot of positive feedback for your efforts.
Hi Mark, Thanks very much for your support on this journey. My hope in posting the progress of my projects is to perhaps inspire someone who's been dreaming of tackling an automotive restoration or build of their own, but just hasn't taken it to that next step. It's been a real pleasure to meet so many great individuals here on All Metal Shaping.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:10 AM

I am inspired!
Old 09-27-2012, 04:46 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Hi Nick, the thing I like about your thread is the fact that you form all the panels using simple tools and machines. No large machines except the wheel. You have shown that its not necessery to have large expensive machines to produce great work.

David

All things are possible.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gardiner View Post
Hi Nick, the thing I like about your thread is the fact that you form all the panels using simple tools and machines. No large machines except the wheel. You have shown that its not necessery to have large expensive machines to produce great work.

David
Thanks very much Mr. Gardiner.

I have to be honest when I say that there are times where I do wish I had such tools as a pullmax and a power hammer sitting in my shop. Would make life easier at times. Until then, I'll just have to roll the piece(s) over and over in my mind's eye till I see a solution. I try to refrain from hitting parts with a hammer and know the limitations of what the basic tools can accomplish(at least in my hands) and therefore if it means making a part out of two or more pieces I will. However, sometimes I'll push those limits and surprise myself in creating a successful piece ... realizing that I still have sooo much to learn.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:24 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2012, Jan 2013, Oct 2013

Impressive as usual!
You find great solutions after the way
Keep the oil burning!!

https://www.facebook.com/metalman.sweden
Old 09-28-2012, 01:33 AM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Nick, If you were to use a hammer and block (stump) you would find a whole new world opens up. It is then possible to form panels by part shrinking them and part stretching them. it is a lot quicker sometimes to hollow the basic shape and then smooth it out on the wheel (depending on the shape) In the old days they did not have large machines here in the UK to form metal other than the wheel (if that). Often it is better to put a joint in a panel than to stretch it from a single piece. These days most of the big machines are too expensive to justify the cost, they would never give a return on the investment for the time they save. The Pullmax is still cheap enough to justify spending the money but for most of the other machines the cost is too much unless you have several employees or can afford to have a costly toy I think.

David

All things are possible.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman sweden View Post
Impressive as usual!
You find great solutions after the way
Keep the oil burning!!
Thanks Per!
Old 09-28-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gardiner View Post
Nick, If you were to use a hammer and block (stump) you would find a whole new world opens up. It is then possible to form panels by part shrinking them and part stretching them. it is a lot quicker sometimes to hollow the basic shape and then smooth it out on the wheel (depending on the shape) In the old days they did not have large machines here in the UK to form metal other than the wheel (if that). Often it is better to put a joint in a panel than to stretch it from a single piece. These days most of the big machines are too expensive to justify the cost, they would never give a return on the investment for the time they save. The Pullmax is still cheap enough to justify spending the money but for most of the other machines the cost is too much unless you have several employees or can afford to have a costly toy I think.

David
Hi Mr. Gardiner, perhaps this winter as I get some more time I'll build a stump to fool around with. I have always enjoyed your insights into the world of metal shaping.

Further, thanks for the tip and for following along with R2's progress.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:44 AM

Starting the next stage of this project, joining the panels to create assemblies.

Forgot to take a picture how the butt joint for the rear fascia initially looked ...but here we are after the first set of tacks were planished and actual welding began. The key to minimize distortion during welding process is to skip around the joint controlling the amount of heat generated within the panels. When you can comfortably place your hand on the welded area...you're good to continue on.

Looks pretty rough at this point...but welding is complete. Now time to clean it up.

After grinding the pride(bump) off the weld, the HAZ area needs to be hammered and dollied to stretch the material again and remove any distortion. During the welding process material shrinks distorting the panel to some degree.

We're almost done. It looks smooth, but after the panel is installed a few areas need to be touched up until the welded is completely invisible.

The body's door jam assemblies have also almost been completed and set off to the side.

Thanks for checking out the progress.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Metal Shaper of the Month, November 2012

amazing!!!