All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Miscellaneous stuff you need to know > Posting Pictures
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-11-2021, 11:21 AM

Default How to cut thin sheet metal with no offal

Years ago I had a local metal shop "cut and paste" numbers on an old license plate. Shop no longer there and I can now do a lot of my own basic metal work. I want to do another cut and paste on a .0125 thick (30 ga) plate. What is a way to do this? I was thinking a wide chisel to cut through. It looks like my other plate was silver soldered together after the numbers were rearranged. Trying to have no gap so no drilling or cutoff wheels.

20210802_183833.jpg

Last edited by galooph; 08-12-2021 at 01:59 AM.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:56 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

I think I'd try to planish the existing numbers flat and then chase the new numbers into a hammer form which would have the new numbers routed into it.

Don't believe everything you think.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:41 PM

Thanks Bob! I was so focused on cut and paste. I have a friend with a router. Need to find a piece of hard maple and see if I can accurately route the numbers.
Phil
Old 08-31-2021, 01:23 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamcar View Post
Thanks Bob! I was so focused on cut and paste. I have a friend with a router. Need to find a piece of hard maple and see if I can accurately route the numbers.
Phil
MDF works well as a hammer form. Another simple method that works well is the Guerin process. Once you have your text routed into the hammer form, place your sheet metal over it. Then cover it with some thick rubber sheet. I used a piece of stall mat from the local farm and ranch store. Then a thick steel plate over the rubber, I used 1/2" HRS. Place the whole stack in a hydraulic press and squish it. I used a 20 ton Harbor Freight press. You don't have to press the whole thing at once. You can work your way around the work piece with a smaller piece of rubber and pressing plate. The work piece stays registered in the hammer form as you work your way around.

Don't believe everything you think.