All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-15-2020, 04:18 AM

Default Cold tig welding

These have been on YouTube for awhile, wondering what the you think about it?
https://youtu.be/SLiURmMr5iA

ærugo nunquam dormit
Old 12-15-2020, 10:28 AM

Default TIG pulse welding

I have demo'd a similar machine (Orion, Sunstone) Very nice technology. It works like the video, however, I would not touch the chain of welds. It is not totally cold. I also tried to program a Miller Maxstar to do a short pulse after a lift start. The Orion does a better job of controlling the whole timing. The tungsten automatically pulls up and the pulse is coordinated with that motion. It can work on a machine with lift start and pulse program-ability, but you have to do the pull up part. The Orion was real easy to use, even for a non welder. You probably want to be a good tig welder to do the lift-start/pulse. The Atom machine in the video uses ultrasonics to move the tungsten. I have no experience with that.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:28 AM

I basically agree with the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7-mcjR59a4
Old 12-15-2020, 04:42 PM

I saw that review and I think they have valid points. I do wonder if it would be good for sheetmetal, especially thinner material.

ærugo nunquam dormit
Old 12-15-2020, 06:08 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

That’s more or less how I tack butt welded panels together. However the welder having the timer is going to be more consistent than me bashing down on the foot pedal and instantly releasing it. I’m older and I’m tending to get cheaper about buying new tools so I guess I will just stick with the older method a while longer……….. it does work. I will just add that I don’t try to tack the whole panel together, once everything is locked together with tacks I run a normal tig bead. Has anyone in the group ever gotten a paying job to weld razor blades together ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 12-15-2020, 07:40 PM

I want to see the back of the welds.....

but even with that if you are not using any filler there are going to be lower areas in the "valley" between the 2 pieces unless you are welding razor blades !

I wish it was that simple and I could be an expert welder when I buy a $400 machine
Old 12-15-2020, 08:54 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Hi,

Interesting! I watched the YouTube video and I agree, fun to play with, but not sure the practical application. If you were in the market for a new TIG welder, then maybe? But even then, how well Is the TIG function? The video shows high current for relatively thin (1/8") steel and aluminum welding was not even discussed. There's a lot of things I could spend $400 on and I can weld soda cans and tin foil with my Thermal Arc TIG.

B

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:20 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTromblay View Post
Hi,

I could spend $400 on and I can weld soda cans and tin foil with my Thermal Arc TIG.

B

Yeah - Well, I can afford new soda cans and new foil.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:04 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Yeah - Well, I can afford new soda cans and new foil.
A customer of mine had a cracked fairing on his airplane that needed to be weld repaired. He was resistant to sending it to me, do to it being "thin, aluminum material" in his opinion and he wasn't sure that I, only being an A&P IA and not a "repair station" that I could repair it. I welded two soda cans together and mailed it to him, I got the job and he kept the cans...

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:52 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarthdave View Post
I want to see the back of the welds.....

but even with that if you are not using any filler there are going to be lower areas in the "valley" between the 2 pieces unless you are welding razor blades !

I wish it was that simple and I could be an expert welder when I buy a $400 machine
Well for sure with that welder you’d be pretty near an expert tacker. Part of the way home…. anyway. ~ John Buchtenkirch