All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Buck Building
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-26-2022, 04:06 PM
MartinWesterwerks MartinWesterwerks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Tallinn / Rotterdam
Posts: 4
Default 1959 Porsche 718 RSK Spyder

As I mentioned in the introduction I design and develop quite boring things for living and have interest in some automotive CGI things. That has led me to designing bucks bodies of vintage Porsches.



And thanks for accepting my registration here.


This is the 1959 Porsche 718 RSK Spyder aka "The Westerwerks Project Sydney" in RHD form, LHD can be made by simply rotating the parts around. RHD was needed for this project because the client is Sydney based. The overall shape is all bone-stock and as close to original as possible without scanning the actual multi-million dollar car. The blue car has modern bits and pieces here and there, but buck-wise its all original shape. Buck is all in metrics: 9mm plywood, cut using 6mm tool. I designed the whole thing to sit on top of this 50mm x 50mm wooden frame with swivel wheels attached to make it easier to roll around the shop/garage.



The buck beauty shot:






The boring CAD view:




The car design:






I'm the type of guy that loves posting massive images but I have scaled everything down and uploaded off-site, I apparently have completely forgotten how forums work, saving images as attachment lowered the quality too much.
__________________
Martin
westerwerks.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-26-2022, 04:29 PM
blue62 blue62 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Woodland Wa.
Posts: 314
Default

Very nice work.
I wish I had some of that type of knowledge
__________________
Dave Bradbury
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-26-2022, 05:00 PM
Larry4406 Larry4406 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 137
Default

WOW!


That's damn nice!


You building one?


If one were left hand drive does the rear cowl move to the left?
__________________
Larry
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-26-2022, 05:50 PM
weldtoride weldtoride is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 896
Default Stunning!

Absolutely stunning!
__________________
Mark from Illinois
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-27-2022, 02:57 AM
MartinWesterwerks MartinWesterwerks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Tallinn / Rotterdam
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Very nice work.
I wish I had some of that type of knowledge
Thank You very much! I wish I had the metal shaping knowledge.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry4406 View Post
WOW!


That's damn nice!


You building one?


If one were left hand drive does the rear cowl move to the left?
The only difference between LHD and RHD is the single cowl/hump on the rear lid/cover.

I'm not building the car myself, I'm just the buck designing guy. I designed the entire car and made the buck. I have no real metal shaping skills, I'd most likely cut my fingers off in the first 10 minutes. But I could potentially build a fiberglass one if I had free time to spend.




Quote:
Originally Posted by weldtoride View Post
Absolutely stunning!
Thank you! Buck for this particular design has turned out to be very popular. Way more than I anticipated. Should have started sharing my designs to the public long time ago, but I was working with small circle of clients, mostly doing one-off designs etc.
__________________
Martin
westerwerks.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-27-2022, 09:01 PM
Kerry Pinkerton's Avatar
Kerry Pinkerton Kerry Pinkerton is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65
Posts: 8,313
Default

Martin, I saw your buck posts on one of the Facebook groups. I nearly responded with the following comments but didn't want to deal with FB trolls. We don't have those problems.

Two comments.

1. While we don't want to see individual business transactions, we do like to know how much things cost. We allow that so do everyone a favor and tell us the price.

2. The buck is beautiful and you are obviously talented. That said, while I'd like to build that car, for me, your buck would be a challenge...at least the sides would be a challenge. You admit to limited shaping skills. The issue is that it is important to be able to see the back of the panel in order to determine that the metal fits tightly to the buck. Yeah, there are some tricks that can be done to get around it but it would much better if there were openings so you could see how well the panel fits the buck. Yeah, I could just cut them myself and would but it would be better if it was part of the design. My opinion.

A question for the non metric folks like me. Are there plans to offer this in non-metric...maybe British Witworth or furlongs...lol. Seriously, in the US, metric plywood is not available.

Finally, is there a chassis that this body fits on or is it unique?

Beautiful work..Beautiful car.
__________________
Kerry Pinkerton
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-28-2022, 03:50 AM
Jaroslav Jaroslav is offline
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Czech Republic
Posts: 2,571
Default

Martin, this is how the preparation before the start of shaping should look like. Good work.

After such preparation, the basic shapes are created very quickly.
__________________
Jaroslav
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-28-2022, 09:23 AM
Gojeep's Avatar
Gojeep Gojeep is offline
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Eastern Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,976
Default

Fantastic CAD work there mate.
__________________
Marcus
aka. Gojeep
Victoria, Australia
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-28-2022, 02:55 PM
MartinWesterwerks MartinWesterwerks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Tallinn / Rotterdam
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Martin, I saw your buck posts on one of the Facebook groups. I nearly responded with the following comments but didn't want to deal with FB trolls. We don't have those problems.

Two comments.

1. While we don't want to see individual business transactions, we do like to know how much things cost. We allow that so do everyone a favor and tell us the price.

2. The buck is beautiful and you are obviously talented. That said, while I'd like to build that car, for me, your buck would be a challenge...at least the sides would be a challenge. You admit to limited shaping skills. The issue is that it is important to be able to see the back of the panel in order to determine that the metal fits tightly to the buck. Yeah, there are some tricks that can be done to get around it but it would much better if there were openings so you could see how well the panel fits the buck. Yeah, I could just cut them myself and would but it would be better if it was part of the design. My opinion.

A question for the non metric folks like me. Are there plans to offer this in non-metric...maybe British Witworth or furlongs...lol. Seriously, in the US, metric plywood is not available.

Finally, is there a chassis that this body fits on or is it unique?

Beautiful work..Beautiful car.

Hi Kerry, yes I did post it on few Facebook groups. I left the price part out because of the potential trolls there to be honest. I registered here because of two main reasons: To get feedback and hopefully someone with experience can point out what mistakes have I made, and secondly it just felt bad for lurking around for a long time and not contributing anything back to the community. Not many forums full of information are still online.


Now answers to your questions:



1. Sorry I didnít post the price here at first. It has been an eventful weekend full of deviations, so I make another exception: I have been selling these types of file sets for 1100.-EUR / around ~1060usd. With some negotiations here and there. The much more complex models with special requests have no ongoing flat rate really.


2. Cutting the holes in the side profile was something I did for 356 Coupe project at first (Electric converted car, Singapore based). But I did it only to save weight of the buck. I ditched the entire idea after calculating machining and it skyrocketed the price because of the high hourly rate there. But I do like the idea of being able to see the panel from back, makes complete sense. I never thought about it like that. Iíll do some new calculations.


3. The metric vs imperial thing: There will be a version in inches. Converting the whole thing to inches is relatively easy. I have just been finding new tasks to avoid the annoying conversion work, since all the buck designs Iíve done have gone to EU, Oceania, and Middle East. In inches the plywood to be used would be 3/8, which is 9.53mm instead of the 9mm I use currently. So only 0.53mm / 0.020866inches difference. Small difference, but the buck still needs to be altered to new size.


4. The body has been fitted on a chassis intended for 356 kits before. The wheelbase is nearly identical. The AUS car (the blue one) is going to get custom chassis. Same deal with the New Zealand builders.

And thank you very much for the kind words. I will re-upload the images without the website info in couple of days, so it doesnít scream ďadvertisementĒ. But want to keep the watermark if possible. My work has been shared around before with someone elseís watermark/logo.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslav View Post
Martin, this is how the preparation before the start of shaping should look like. Good work.

After such preparation, the basic shapes are created very quickly.

Thank you Jaroslav! Depending on the model it can take quite some time to make these. The goal was to keep as much and as little as possible of the shape, while keeping the material cost down. Plywood prices were pretty wild not that long time ago, some still are due to the events. Thank you again


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Fantastic CAD work there mate.

Hah thanks Marcus! Aussies and Kiwis seem to really like these
__________________
Martin
westerwerks.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-28-2022, 03:05 PM
Larry4406 Larry4406 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 137
Default

Any links to the folks building the bodies to these bucks?
__________________
Larry
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.