All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-01-2022, 09:13 AM

Default Home Made CNC Plasma Table

I couldn't find a specific topic for this type of equipment, so I hope it's ok here. I built this 2' x 2' capacity CNC plasma table using off-the-shelf components wherever possible.

It uses a Rockler shop stand for a base. Aluminum extrusions from the 8020 Company are used for the main table. Origa linear rails and cassettes guide both the X and Y axes. Gear rack and spur gears were purchased on eBay. Timing belts and pulleys are from McMaster-Carr. No torch height control is needed on a table this size. I have one, but don't use it.

The only fabrication needed was for the motor mounts, motor mount supports, and cam follower bracket. Electronics and software are from FlashcutCNC.

I probably have $5K in it, which is substantially more than some of the entry level systems on the market. Most of it is in the Flashcut stuff, which is pretty high-end. The Origa linear rail components are expensive, but worth it in my view.

Below are a couple of pictures of the table, and some pieces I've cut out with it.

Old 08-01-2022, 09:55 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

NICE, that would be a great addition to any fabrication shop ? How thick can it cut ? ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 08-01-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buchtenkirch View Post
NICE, that would be a great addition to any fabrication shop ? How thick can it cut ? ~ John Buchtenkirch
Realistically, probably about 3/8". In the photo below, the 3" thick piece was cut with oxygen-acetylene. I cut all the others with plasma.