All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Miscellaneous stuff you need to know > Announcements
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-25-2021, 09:07 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Default Sad News

Stan Lobitz has passed away!

I saw a Facebook post by Mike Rouse but now can’t find it.

Stan has been a fan and big supporter of the metalshaping community for many years. He was also very involved with the old open wheeled sprint cars.

I met him the first time back about 2004. He was a wealth of knowledge, and a great story teller. He owned a catering business and made the very best fried chicken !

Rest In Peace Stan

Steve
Old 01-25-2021, 10:49 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hamilton View Post
Stan Lobitz has passed away!

I saw a Facebook post by Mike Rouse but now can’t find it.

Stan has been a fan and big supporter of the metalshaping community for many years. He was also very involved with the old open wheeled sprint cars.

I met him the first time back about 2004. He was a wealth of knowledge, and a great story teller. He owned a catering business and made the very best fried chicken !

Rest In Peace Stan

Steve

My kindest regard for Stan, also.
He will be missed greatly. Very knowledgeable and magnetic collector.
Deep blessings for you on your way, Stan.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:46 PM

Stan was quite the man. A few years back while riding around I swung by Stan's place for a quick hello. Ended up getting a four hour tour of Stan's collections. Three buildings stuffed to the ceiling. I recall seeing three Indy Offy engines laying around, one being used as a door stop. An unforgettable day.

Stan. RIP.

Duck
Old 01-25-2021, 04:08 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Eastern Museum of Motor Racing
19 hrs ·
The racing community lost a good one today with the passing of Stan Lobitz. Stan was a wonderful supporter of EMMR, hosting his annual Lobitz Movie Party at his banquet hall in Hazelton for years to support the museum. In recent years the party had been moved to the museum and Stan was able to join us this past November for the annual get together.
Stan loved racing and he loved helping preserve the history of the sport. We are lucky to have called him a friend to our organization and we will definitely miss him.

Found this on their facebook page

Steve
Old 01-25-2021, 04:14 PM

Stan was a real character. He had a special knack for finding and collecting tools. He was always a joy to be around. One of his sons lived close to me when I still lived in south Florida. We got together on one of his visits to see his son. We spent a great day going down to Dania and touring The Creative Workshop. At the time they were building their take on a fifties vintage Italian racecar. It had a Maserati style. Riveted fuel tank. MB v-12.
I had been there before and so had Stan. The owner had hunted me down because he was restoring a ASA100GT. I had/have four. He said it took a long time to finally trace me down. Anyway it was a fun day.

Stan, at one time, had a pet jaguar. He showed me pictures of his jaguar in his Jaguar XK120.
He will be missed.

Below is a photo that I took of Stan that day.

TuckPuck® Metal Shaping Tools
www.tuckpuck.com
Old 01-26-2021, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I've been dreading this day. Stan was one of a kind. I first met him at Dutch Comstock's first metalshaping event back in 2002 or so. We were making copper weathervanes. Stan had heard about it somewhere and he came up. Over the days, we heard quite a few of Stan's stories which I enjoyed but thought were total BS. One day he disappeared and showed up the next morning with the most magnificent fried chicken.

A visit to Stan's was a near religious experience. Something amazing was around every corner. One time there was this ENGINE sitting on the floor behind a door. I asked Stan what it was and he said 'Offenhauser'. I nearly wet myself.

I visited with him several times. In the tour of the shop were some amazing things. THE 1958 Popular Mechanics cover car....an uniquely unattractive and 1 of 1 car. Many sprint cars and most were significant because of the race they won or who drove them. Another Offy lay on the floor. Stan casually remarked 'That one was won the Indy 500'.

The is Stan in the middle of between Bennett Chapman on the left and me on the right. Stan was about 75 at this point and from some of the photos I've seen, in his prime, Stan was a USDA certified MAN!

HPIM2532.jpg

Stan had a huge collection of handheld planishing hammers and fender rollers.

HPIM2501.jpg

THE OFFENHAUSER THAT WON THE INDY 500!

HPIM2519.jpg

The uniquely unattractive Popular Mechanics car.

HPIM2521.jpg

Stan's family owned a catering hall in Hazelton PA.

HPIM2542.jpg

It was impossible to have a short visit with Stan. He'd insist on cooking for you and showing you this building or that building.

At the early MetalMeet's Stan introduced the community to making copper flowers and charmed the ears off any females who happened to attend. In his earlier days, I expect he charmed other things off.....LOL

He always said that his kids didn't need anything and he had donated his collection to the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing in southern PA. I hope they have a big building ready because he has a ton of stuff.

EVERYONE in the sprint car world knew Stan. Whenever I'd see a sprint car at a show, the owner would know Stan.

One of a kind and he will be missed.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.c View Post
...Stan, at one time, had a pet jaguar. He showed me pictures of his jaguar in his Jaguar XK120...
In the lobby of the catering hall is the stuffed jaguar. I didn't really believe the jaguar stories until I saw the taxidermy mount and more photos.

What an amazing life he had.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:05 PM

Stan was quite a unique guy. He had a special love of life and people along with his race cars. We will miss him.
Mike
Old 01-29-2021, 08:55 AM

My condolences to Stan. Once you've met Stan , his personality stayed etched in your memory. I'll soon not forget him. Funny thing is in the the last week or so I've been thinking about that hammer powered louver press that he made, then I tuned in here today and read of his passing. May he rest in peace. Bill