All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-09-2021, 08:24 AM
MetalShaper of the month 07-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Bob,
I saw "glass bead peening" used on very thin stainless, circa 1967.
And then "blow forming" aluminum skins came along, like making plexi canopies.
And yet Cecostamp hammers are still bonking out skins today.
Quite a mix of metal-fab techniques still employed.
Yeah Kent, our manufacturing factory was an absolute mix of new and old. And man I loved it. First toured that facility in the late 1970's, I worked at a different plant in a different city. Not much in the way of cnc machines back then, though there were paper tape driven routers in use then. And boy were they slow but repeated well enough. Parts were held by wood screws through tabs that were later clipped off.

I got transferred to that city in a different plant in 1985 as we ramped up to build the Starship. 3 weeks later I was transferred to that very plant to support an aircraft I worked on before my prior transfer. What fun for me as that was the start of a modernization with new and little used 2nd hand cnc machines starting to be put on line. Wasn't there long as I got transferred once more to a brand new project, a jet. New project, new building, new faces and a much different role for me. Much more fun for me too, even had my own crew. The next few years the manufacturing plant continued to grow and expand, many more new cnc machines, stretch presses, more modern hydraulic presses. In one room we still had the power hammers and drop hammers working daily. Just outside that large room were the hand align crew and down the isle were the hand rout crew and not far away the manual drill press line. That facility was just on the other side of the field so I visited weekly. Exciting times in those days, I just loved it.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:45 AM

Bob
Thanks for your info on "skin milling". Very interesting.