All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-21-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack 1957 View Post
Yes. I knock one off the list and find three more.

Sounds like a game of "whacka-mole" but you are kicking its butt!
Old 02-22-2022, 04:48 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Quote:
Yes. I knock one off the list and find three more.
Going through the same these last 2 weeks. Just solve one and another appears that was not one before!
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:21 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

I finished the driver side interior trim panel. I really didn't remember the first one being so much work, but it's done. Moving on.

Name:  2124.jpg
Views: 1648
Size:  86.7 KB

I started making the door safety latches. You can buy these but I needed something much longer than anything I could find, so...

3/8" steel rod, 1 x1/8 flat stock, 16ga pivot arm, tension spring, 2 nylon mounting blocks, and a 3/8" control rod.

Name:  2125.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  68.7 KB

Name:  2126.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  103.8 KB

Assembled and in the retracted position

Name:  2127.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  65.6 KB

Rotate the control rod and the spring drags the lock rod forward toward the lock position.

Name:  2128.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  69.8 KB

Fully extended. Locked position.

Name:  2129.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  61.4 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:10 PM

Passenger window installed, adjusted and functioning properly. It actually took me a couple days. It's very difficult to get the regulator mounts in just the right place so the window tracks up and down without binding. That's what took so long but I got it.
I've also been tracking down a whole shopping list of bugs, knocking them down one by one. I have all the trouble codes cleared so the check engine light is now off. I ran the engine up to operating temperature to see if the cooling fan trips on. It does and maintains temperature. Oil pressure is good. No leaks. (No sparks or smoke either) That's good.

Name:  2130.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  82.0 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 03-17-2022, 04:23 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Glad to hear you are getting through that list.
I have two electrical things to workout, but might be solved once replacements arrive if that is where the fault was! Also original accident related.
In limbo until then.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 03-17-2022, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Glad to hear you are getting through that list.
I have two electrical things to workout, but might be solved once replacements arrive if that is where the fault was! Also original accident related.
In limbo until then.
That's where my SRS trouble code is from. The donor car was hit from the back. No air bags were deployed but the seat belt pretensioners activated setting a permanent DTC. I need to have Matt clear it for me. In

Old 03-21-2022, 10:58 AM

Good Guys show is July 8 - 10 at the Columbus Expo Center. I think I can be there. A (reasonable) deadline always motivates me. Still messing with the windows and various other problems as I come across them. I could drive the car right now, but I'd rather get it done first. I'm going to tighten up the front end alignment soon. I'll cover that when I get there.

Old 04-08-2022, 06:36 PM

I spent the last few days going over everything underneath the car.. Double checked for bump steer and found about 1/4" from full down to ride height. I had to do better than that. I removed two 1/8" shims from under the rack and brought that down to less than 1/8". Basically immeasurable.

When I was satisfied with the front end, I started chasing down a slow leak in the air suspension. When I got rid of the shark bite fittings I changed them all except the two on the rear air bags. Kind of a pain in the ass to remove. I was thinking that odds were pretty good in my favor that if I changed out the other 30 fittings that I would probably get the problem fixed. I must have had multiple leaks. Anyway, I changed out the last two fittings and I'll check on them over the next few days to see if the car is dropping down.

I still have two trouble codes to clear, TPMS and SRS. I contacted Matt and he's going to stop over again and clear them for me. When I put the new tires and wheels on, I also got new tire pressure sensors. Now the body control module doesn't know the frequency of the new sending units so they have to be reprogrammed.

The SRS code could either be from the original CTS collision or the elimination of the side curtain air bags. When the CTS was wrecked, no air bags were deployed but the seat belt pretensioners deployed. That would set a permanent trouble code. Another possibility is that I don't have the correct resistors to trick the BCM into believing that the side curtains are still there. I'll see if Matt can figure that out.
I also put heat shielding around the fuel lines and nylon air lines where they pass near the exhaust pipes.

I'm reasonably certain that everything under the car is buttoned up so I put the car back on the ground. (Hopefully for good). I still have to mess with the windows and I don't have the door latch operating on the left side. I'll probably start poking around with that next. I can hear the relays clicking when I hit the button but the latch doesn't open.
Anyway, the car is back on the ground. At full down, the roof line is at the same level as the bed of my truck.

Name:  2131.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  94.1 KB

Name:  2132.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  103.9 KB

Name:  2133.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  112.9 KB

Old 04-08-2022, 08:15 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
I spent the last few days going over everything underneath the car.. Double checked for bump steer and found about 1/4" from full down to ride height. I had to do better than that. I removed two 1/8" shims from under the rack and brought that down to less than 1/8". Basically immeasurable.

When I was satisfied with the front end, I started chasing down a slow leak in the air suspension. When I got rid of the shark bite fittings I changed them all except the two on the rear air bags. Kind of a pain in the ass to remove. I was thinking that odds were pretty good in my favor that if I changed out the other 30 fittings that I would probably get the problem fixed. I must have had multiple leaks. Anyway, I changed out the last two fittings and I'll check on them over the next few days to see if the car is dropping down.

I still have two trouble codes to clear, TPMS and SRS. I contacted Matt and he's going to stop over again and clear them for me. When I put the new tires and wheels on, I also got new tire pressure sensors. Now the body control module doesn't know the frequency of the new sending units so they have to be reprogrammed.

The SRS code could either be from the original CTS collision or the elimination of the side curtain air bags. When the CTS was wrecked, no air bags were deployed but the seat belt pretensioners deployed. That would set a permanent trouble code. Another possibility is that I don't have the correct resistors to trick the BCM into believing that the side curtains are still there. I'll see if Matt can figure that out.
I also put heat shielding around the fuel lines and nylon air lines where they pass near the exhaust pipes.

I'm reasonably certain that everything under the car is buttoned up so I put the car back on the ground. (Hopefully for good). I still have to mess with the windows and I don't have the door latch operating on the left side. I'll probably start poking around with that next. I can hear the relays clicking when I hit the button but the latch doesn't open.
Anyway, the car is back on the ground. At full down, the roof line is at the same level as the bed of my truck.

Attachment 63265

Attachment 63266

Attachment 63267
Jack,
This auto-creation of yours is very unique - and is a remarkable study of lines, shapes, and curves, joined with careful fits and very smooth flows.
I keep going back and looking again and again, it's that good!
Bravo!
You've achieved a superbly-balanced and detailed stunner.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 04-09-2022, 09:19 AM

i'll bet sam barris is looking down and smiling!