All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-03-2020, 07:51 AM

Default what are the most useful metal forming dollies?

I always keep any solid piece of steel that I can get my hands on specially if they are already shaped and have soft edges or corners, so far only managed to build a few dollies in my shop but most of what I have are commercially made.
I was wondering a lot about these 3 sets of dollies ,thay are on sale locally and would like to know your opinions on them on how useful you find each set , please let me know if you would pick them all or prefer one over the others .
Here they are:
8622730.jpg

8622839.jpg

8622862.jpg8622755.jpg

Last edited by ken from Peterborough; 04-08-2020 at 09:08 AM. Reason: to add the mushroom dolly pic.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:59 PM

Where were they made?
Old 04-03-2020, 04:56 PM

They are made in China, I already have two smaller mushroom dollies from the same set and so far both have handled a few hours of tapping, hammering by me, I'm not worried about their quality at all.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:46 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

I like having an assortment of scrap and basic welding and cutting-shaping-polishing equipment to make things like these when I actually need them. Then I have exactly what I need instead of something close enough. Every time I buy an assortment, it seems like one gets used a lot while the rest never do.

There's no substitute for $$$$ tools that are properly finished, hardened and tempered. But if I'm going to use something else, I would rather make it myself than buy cheap import tools.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:23 PM

I looked for scrap tapered steel here and there, what I'm looking for is a long piece like 18" or longer , if I had a decent size lathe I would get a straight piece and taper it myself but can't do it with mini mill ,lol. so the closest I found was that 3 piece set (first pic) ,with the longest one being ~11" ,so I only ordered that , they are on sale at our Princess Auto (Canadian HF) for about $48 USD.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:14 PM

They all have their uses so you have to choose dollies for what you want to do. Out of those pictured, for me, the mushroom dollie would be first choice and the the curved ones second choice. The long tapered ones would have no place in my collection unless I started to make jewellery or long funnel spouts.

Sometimes, these budget tools look too nice to not have at the asking price but you’ll end up with lots you don’t use. I’ve got around 30 vintage dollies and stakes but only a few get regular use.

If you want them, then have them, but don’t be surprised if they never get used.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Davies View Post
They all have their uses so you have to choose dollies for what you want to do. Out of those pictured, for me, the mushroom dollie would be first choice and the the curved ones second choice. The long tapered ones would have no place in my collection unless I started to make jewellery or long funnel spouts.

Sometimes, these budget tools look too nice to not have at the asking price but you’ll end up with lots you don’t use. I’ve got around 30 vintage dollies and stakes but only a few get regular use.

If you want them, then have them, but don’t be surprised if they never get used.
First I must thank you for your common sense , also thanks for your reply to my specific question, you are right about the mushroom one, I already own a 4.5" one and a 2" , both sizes are very useful.

The tapered set I chose based on the few occasions I needed that shape and couldn't find anything around that even remotely resembled a tapered shape .
The T shaped set is also on my list of favorites but I wish at least one of the 3 was straight, I do have all the necessary stock to make them as I need them.
The point you made about hording dollies is well taken, I use only what makes my life easier working with copper.
Overall, I appreciate your choices and the wisdom behind making them although I must admit I'm a bit surprised that the tapered shape dollies are not picked by you or any one else , thought based solely on their unique shape, they would be the first choice or one of the top three.
I'm new to this hobby and can not assume anything unless I ask.
Thank you all for your patience.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:56 AM

Default Lath ball turning

I purchased this lathe attachment on Ebay for the same cost as a small set of tee dollies and made ten pieces. Thanks to this posting I am going to try the tapered ones and have yet to turn bead roller dies. Once I am satisfied I have done enough pieces I can have them heat treated as the steel is a 1018. Unless you think there are good enough as they are.

IMG_2957.jpg

IMG_2958.jpg
Old 04-08-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustreapers View Post
I purchased this lathe attachment on Ebay for the same cost as a small set of tee dollies and made ten pieces. Thanks to this posting I am going to try the tapered ones and have yet to turn bead roller dies. Once I am satisfied I have done enough pieces I can have them heat treated as the steel is a 1018. Unless you think there are good enough as they are.

Attachment 55970

Attachment 55971
I actually made my own radius turning jig a couple of years ago but so far only used it on Aluminum, like your T dollies so much might try the exact same sizes you've made in steel, I would also bend a couple of the narrower ones like the pictures above.

I might not harden mine right away, like to see how badly they get dings and scratches first, may be able to remove it all with soft sandpaper.
If you ever decide to harden them you can make a small forge yourself ,the Tees are not that big and can individually fit in a small forge (if you cut the shanks off), anyhow, this is just my humble opinion, hopefully the more experienced members will chime in and share their thoughts.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustreapers View Post

Attachment 55970

Attachment 55971
What is that attachment called? can it be used on a small lathe?