All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-03-2021, 03:48 PM

Default Seeking assistance on method to replicate this part

I made the dome shown in these pictures several years ago when I had access to a beater bag, mallets and an english wheel. It's been sitting in my garage ever since and is a little rough! Material is aluminum, but I can't recall how thick. I'd like to replicate something similar in both aluminum and sheet metal, probably 18 guage. Most likely, I will make them in several sizes and will need some smaller radius domes. I don't have access to either a pnumatic planishing hammer or an english wheel. This is the question.... Could this be accomplished with either an english wheel or planishing hammer? Which would be the best choice? I will need to buy or make the tool and the hammer appears easier and cheaper than the english wheel. I am not looking for a super smooth finish for a car body or anything of the sort. This is for part of an outdoor sculpture.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Jim

Domed-Alum-a1.jpg

Domed-Alum-a2.jpg

Last edited by galooph; 12-04-2021 at 03:46 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:38 PM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

I think you could shape it with a hammer on a steel plate or a sandbag. You can fill your wife's purse and return it when you're done - she won't even notice .... Bird feeding can be used instead of sand. Millet.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslav View Post
I think you could shape it with a hammer on a steel plate or a sandbag. You can fill your wife's purse and return it when you're done - she won't even notice .... Bird feeding can be used instead of sand. Millet.
I was not aware that Millet was an option. I’m concerned about my ability to achieve acceptable smoothness by hammer alone, however.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoPilot View Post
I was not aware that Millet was an option. I’m concerned about my ability to achieve acceptable smoothness by hammer alone, however.

You can shape that up with a blocking hammer on a sand bag. That step would only take a few minutes.

Then planish smooth with a planishing hammer and slapper on a bench-head. You can make it as smooth as you want it by planishing. just takes time and patience.
If your a novice metal shaper it would be a good exercise to learn a little about how metal reacts to the thing you do to it.
Blocking on a sandbag is a primary step in making most panels.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:54 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
You can shape that up with a blocking hammer on a sand bag. That step would only take a few minutes.

Then planish smooth with a planishing hammer and slapper on a bench-head. You can make it as smooth as you want it by planishing. just takes time and patience.
If your a novice metal shaper it would be a good exercise to learn a little about how metal reacts to the thing you do to it.
Blocking on a sandbag is a primary step in making most panels.

Absolutely agree.

(Set your bench head height to your best arm swing - so bh striking surface height = your elbow height minus hammer face/handle length = arm parallel/floor at strike.)

Relaxed work. Hammer/slapper weight+drop = force needed.

Relaxed working. Not "throwing" the hammer against the metal via shoulder .... (as in maul-splitting firewood??)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:49 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2022'

A hardwood stump is a nice tool as well. Even a slight hollow will allow you to sink the shape quite easily and you can smooth it out by working from the inside on a flat part of the stump.

Alternately, you can make wooden stakes out of hardwood as well. I have an oak 4x4 with a dome sanded on one end that is very useful. It's easier to read the surface from the outside of the dome during the smoothing.