All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Metalshaping videos on-line
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-22-2020, 01:56 AM

Default Shrinking stump fabrication

Hello everyone! I have been a member for awhile and figured it was time that I contributed. I have started a youtube channel that has been a great learning experience for me. I just uploaded my latest video where I fabricate an unconventional shrinking stump. https://youtu.be/GDjd3wXvQB0
I hope you enjoy. I would also love to hear critiques about it so I can learn. I am hoping to upload more videos about my journey to improve my metalshaping skills and I am all ears!
Old 11-22-2020, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Nice stump Dave. I'd suggest you'll work a lot less and be more effective if you dump that tear drop hammer and make/buy a 'Winsett Hammer" (baseball bat hammer) or shaping hammer from Hoosier Profiles or Imperial or ?? IMO you need more weight to put the metal into it's plastic state.

Here is a thread on making one: https://www.allmetalshaping.com/show...ght=bat+hammer The only thing I'll add is to put the handle at the balance point, not the middle. That way you can easily spin it from one end to the other.

I do the majority of my shaping with a Bat Hammer.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:07 PM

Thanks Kerry, I mostly work in 18 ga and you are right, I feel like I am beating the heck out of it. I definitely need a better/heavier hammer. Thank you for the advice and the link. I have been doing shaping for a few years, but still feel I am an amateur. definitely looking to upgrade my skills
Old 11-22-2020, 04:53 PM

Dave, it looks a great stump and well thought out. I agree with Kerry though, throw the little mallet to one side and get yourself a decent blocking hammer, it will save you a lot of time and effort!

Out of interest, what sort of lifespan would you expect from the stump, with it being made from plywood?
Old 11-22-2020, 09:13 PM

Thank you! I definitely need a blocking hammer! I have used it a few times now, hardly any real damage to it. If it does get damaged I will sand it again. Hopefully it lasts a few years since I do not metalshape professionally, it is a passion only/hobby
Old 11-28-2020, 09:04 AM

Dave bought this blocking hammer from me. I bought this from Joe Andrews at Metal meet Maybe 15 yrs ago. Due to the arthritis in my wrist ,elbow and shoulder ,I can't swing a hammer very long. When I do ,it takes a few days for me to recover. I watched Dave's video and along with many metalshapers felt the pain of watching him wail on that sheet metal with that light weight hammer. I'm looking forward to seeing his next video once he gets accustom to his new hammer.

P1020786 (2).JPG

Last edited by galooph; 11-29-2020 at 05:18 AM.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harrison View Post
Dave bought this blocking hammer from me. I bought this from Joe Andrews at Metal meet Maybe 15 yrs ago. Due to the arthritis in my wrist ,elbow and shoulder ,I can't swing a hammer very long. When I do ,it takes a few days for me to recover. I watched Dave's video and along with many metalshapers felt the pain of watching him wail on that sheet metal with that light weight hammer. I'm looking forward to seeing his next video once he gets accustom to his new hammer.
He’ll certainly be using less effort swinging that than the mallet in the video.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harrison View Post

Attachment 58261
Thanks Bill! I look forward to using it!
Old 11-29-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Davies View Post
He’ll certainly be using less effort swinging that than the mallet in the video.
That is for sure! Better to set up for endurance!
Old 11-30-2020, 09:22 PM

That deep of a crater of a shaping stump is humanly impossible to use to produce results with the very limited force that a human can produce. Shorten up the free span of the metal across the crater is the first step. Long radius curves can be obtained by utilizing a short span crater.
The shorter the span the more stretching will be achieved. Think a little at a time will get the results required. Remember humans do not have a great amount initial force but can exert a little force over a long period of time.
Try shortening up that span. I have ground a crater with a radius of 5 inches into a roughly flat river rock and using a wooden mallet with a domed end to produce panels with very long radius Ed and very short radius Ed as little as 8 inches. Though I think I could form as small as 5 inches.
Any way shorten up that spam and use many hits.
Also use temples to check your progress.

Mike