All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-01-2011, 09:28 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2014

Once the engine compartment's opening was determined and the moisture trough surround created, fabrication on the hatch's substructure began. Profiles of the perimeter areas were created and dimensions were transposed onto sheet metal. Then the fun part came next...actually forming the sheet metal.

Here, after the pieces were formed, the hatch sections are being fitted together and prepped for scribing.

A section of the substructure is dropped into the opening for the initial fit.

Substructure welded together and approaching completion. Flipped over for some hammer and dollie work.

Hatch tacked to the wire frame buck for some additional pieces to be completed. Still need to do some hammer and dollie work to even out the HAZ.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:42 AM

Very nice Nick!
Old 11-01-2011, 12:37 PM

Love your post. Love your results even more! Great work Nick, that ride's going to be a real beauty. Keep working and posting!

Manny
Old 11-01-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATNBEAT View Post
Very nice Nick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal manny View Post
Love your post. Love your results even more! Great work Nick, that ride's going to be a real beauty. Keep working and posting!

Manny
Thanks very much. Really appreciate your enthusiasm for this new build...helps out on those late nights/early mornings in the shop shaping the panels.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:51 PM

Moving onto the rear of the vehicle now. While some pieces were already created, such as the wheel tubs and scoops, structural pieces needed to be fabricated. After the templates are produced they are laid out to best utilize the sheet metal.

Pieces, pieces and more pieces...

Rear sub-structure have been almost completed and mocked up. The rear wheels will take up most of the space in the wheel well hole.

Now the pieces need to be tweaked, mated and welded to one another.

Last edited by invision; 08-31-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:39 PM
MetalShaper of the month Feb.-11, July - 2018, Sept. 2020

Looking good Nick!

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

McCartney Paint and Custom YouTube channel
Old 11-14-2011, 08:48 PM

This thread simply amazes me every time I check up on it. Keep going...I love it.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:51 PM

Thanks very much for the great comments Gents.

For this next part I want to keep 'detail shots' of the actual hinge and pivot in my back pocket...at least for now. However, here are a few pictures of the door shell integrated with the impact beam structure which itself connects the pivot to the latch area.

After the inner door shells were spaced and mounted into the openings work on the hinges and impact beams could begin. That 1/4" rod at the top is only temp...holding the shell correctly spaced within the opening.

The plan was to create a hollow hinge so that the door's control wires could pass through leaving a clean jam perimeter. The second challenge was to have the doors open diagonally upwards (butterfly) through the use of a single pivot pin. Here's the door opening for the first time on the new hinge...will it work?

Success! The door swings up as designed. Now to install some cylinders to make the swing effortless. Open 3/4's of the way already provides sufficient space to get into the vehicle comfortably. The door can now be finalized with the installation of the latch, window frame, glass and handles...later on.

Thanks for looking.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Nick I gotta tell you that I'm really impressed with this build. My roadster structure kicked my butt and your coupe is so much more complex that my roadster is a go kart by comparison.

Structure building is something that is not widely documented anywhere that I can find. Where did you learn how to do it?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:18 PM

Nick,
I find your posts most interesting. Obviously well thought out, as your construction starts with the substructure, rather than the body, unlike most other hobbists do.
This build is quite different from your first build as it appears that you will be fabricating all the body panels, rather than adapting preexisting panel shapes.
Your bio and design criteria suggest that you are in business to create custom builds. Am I reading this correctly?
I am personally into building a sports bodied car myself and your door jams are very much on the order of what I have planned.
I like your supraleggra method of using steel rods for giving a visual as well as reference points for construction. Do you plan on any other type of pattern / mold for fabricating the body panels, or are you going only on feel and intuition?
Keep up the good work.
Olf Art

Every thing should be as simple as possible, but no simpler - Albert Einstien