All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-20-2019, 04:18 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Many thanks guys.
I thought I'd change my 'make do' of throwing the spare in the back for long trips was not good enough anymore. This will be better in the long run.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:21 PM

I was speaking to Slyfox (a member of another Forum) and we both wondered why you didn't just throw the spare in the tray.

I think we both would have.

As usual great work.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:32 PM

I am only up to page 53, but I have to say that this thing is amazing! In just a few hours I have learned tons!

Thank you so much, Marcus, for putting this online!
Bill
Old 10-26-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargoman View Post
I was speaking to Slyfox (a member of another Forum) and we both wondered why you didn't just throw the spare in the tray.

I think we both would have.

As usual great work.
Ha ha, I sometimes wish I would be happy with the simpler approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
I am only up to page 53, but I have to say that this thing is amazing! In just a few hours I have learned tons!

Thank you so much, Marcus, for putting this online!
Bill
So glad you are learning a lot too like I have during this build.

Old 10-26-2019, 09:44 PM

From this 2mm-14g cold rolled galvanised steel, I am going to make a battery tray.

My folder has trouble folding a narrow edge as there is not enough leverage against it, so did it by hand over the edge of the bench. I sometimes start with a wider piece and cut it back after folding.

My Chinese made folder can't handle this at all so back to my old home built one. Still use it for things like this.

I am using a DIN75 case battery, https://www.centurybatteries.com.au/...75lh%20mf/info as it exceeds the original stock donor specifications for the HEMI V8. They have a ledge running around the bottom of the case which the double fold at the back of the tray will sit over.

I put two nut inserts in so that the angle piece will press down on the front ledge of the battery case holding it down. This is the way DIN batteries are most often held in place.

I installed the inserts from the bottom as thought it would be neater. The two flared holes reduce the weight while adding stiffness to the bottom and giving drainage.

Also going to use nut inserts to hold the battery tray in place on the cross members. Normally the collar around the insert sits proud, but I want it flush so you don't get a build up of dirt between the tray sides and the cross member. So I re-ground a drill bit that matched the outside diameter of the insert with flat cutting edges like used when drilling sheet metal.

Only drilled just enough so that the collar sat flush.

Drilled the centre out to suit the insert. You can also buy special bits to do this exact job of creating the recess for the insert.

The nut inserts work like a heavy duty rivet except the mandrel doesn't stay in the rivet once finished. You actually screw the mandrel into the insert and thread it back out again afterwards.

I used four M10 inserts to hold the tray in place. It has to hold a 20kg-44lb battery.

The underside of the bed floor will be level with the cross members on the left of picture. I have 30mm-1.25" clearance above the battery. Gives me enough height to clear the 15mm-5/8" front lip of the tray when fitting and removing the battery. The mufflers run under the tray but are 125mm-5" away from the bottom of the tray.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:30 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

I like the countersink in the frame for the inserts. Great details.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:40 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct 2016, June 2020, April 2023

Thanks for showing this Marcus. I'm going to try this time I use a rivnut. Nice looking chassis!!
Old 10-31-2019, 10:04 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Thumbs up

Marcus: your attention to detail and innovative approach to solving issues makes me motivated to raise the game for my own projects. Thanks for providing a great example for the rest of us to follow.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:07 AM

Still more frame changes! I lowered the spare tyre winch cross member down so that the top was flush with the chassis after coming up with a better idea to make the bed floor sit flat on the chassis later on. Then I saw an opportunity to reduce the rear overhang as well, so off comes the cross member.

Making a brand new one from 100x50x5mm, (4"x2"x3/16"), RHS. I like to include the end caps for the frame ends at the same time. It increases the weld area of the cross member itself while reducing the total welds needed to adding a separate cap later on.

Adding a new receiver hitch into the cross member like before.

Bevelled the cross member as well and the receiver for best possible weld penetration when doing a flush fit.

Welding completed. I always take photos before any grinding in case the certifying engineer needs to know the quality of the weld afterwards.

All ground flush ready to install. If I leave it like the stock configuration, the rear cross member is seen below the tailgate.

So what is different? Well when I dropped the winch cross member to make it flush with the top of the chassis, I saw that by going back to the original width cross member, and raising the hitch receiver height slightly, I could move the cross member forward by 75mm, (3"), over the tyre to help reduce the rear overhang. Should make a more balanced look the side profile of the bed once it is made.

The hitch receiver now acts as one of the supports for the tyre.

I also came up with a way to connect my Jeep jack handle to the tyre winch. I made this adapter that fits the winch end.

The adapter then just slots into the jack handle shaft.

Now a bit of time on the lathe for the next part. This is 304 solid stainless bar.

The machined part is the new hitch pin. I am making a extended hitch pin from a 304 stainless steel gate drop bolt.

I bored the end of the hitch pin collar an interference fit so I could press it onto the drop bolt.

The drop bolt has tangs normally for holding the bolt up when you swing open your gates. Well I have made it so it locks the pin into the closed position. The tang has to pass through a slot in the bolt support with the handle horizontal and then it locks tightly once the handle is down.

To slide the pin out you just twist the handle up and side it back. The pin collar acts as a stop against one of the bolt supports so it cannot be pulled out too far. Simple but effective.

The jack shaft rests nicely on the hitch pin too when winching the tyre up and down. You can see now it would have been hard to access the hitch pin if it had not been extended off to the side.

I noticed some flex in the winch cross member so have reinforced it.

Old 11-02-2019, 08:23 AM

The devil is always in the detail - and you’ve certainly nailed the detail on this build !
Big thanks for taking the time to post build progress as I always learn something new from each step
Chris