All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-29-2020, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Ken's response and new phone number:

Thank you for the message.. I'm sorry that phone number was disconnected sometime last year... I had it since 1978, when I started my business in September doing car restoration.... I thought it was done with everything, till I posted my Facebook page,on April 1st. because of the pandemic cuz I can't go to, local swap meet and car shows anymore.. maybe what I should do is see if I could get my old phone number back... since they haven't reissued it to anybody...

My cell phone is 626-255-0375 Ken Sakamoto ...SUNCHASER STUDIOS.....3202 East Foothill Boulevard Pasadena California 91107 in there since September 1978 it's my shop.. unfortunately the beginning of the year they so large industrial complex so they're telling us we will be moving and get all evicted 1000 self storage in 22 businesses

Thank you for contacting me.. please have him call anytime. If I miss him, just have him leave me a detailed message.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:44 PM

I don't think you can beat either Scott's corrugated style or the smooth shrinking discs but long before they were commercially available we used to use a 9" grinding disc with a very stiff backing pad. The disc is dead dull and worn smooth. The is sill a layer of abrasive material, it is just smooth. Always can tune it up on a concrete floor. Works great, but the disc will eventually fatigue crack.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:04 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essexmetal View Post
I don't think you can beat either Scott's corrugated style or the smooth shrinking discs but long before they were commercially available we used to use a 9" grinding disc with a very stiff backing pad. The disc is dead dull and worn smooth. The is sill a layer of abrasive material, it is just smooth. Always can tune it up on a concrete floor. Works great, but the disc will eventually fatigue crack.

(Amen to that. I've also used 50 disc, sharp. And 36, sharp. Have to move fast - the 9inch sidewinder gets heavy at the end of the day.)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:02 PM

Wow. Thanks guys for all the info and for reaching out on my behalf. I think I’ll just order from both of the guys mentioned and I can come to my own conclusion.

One more question... which grinder do you all prefer?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I prefer the variable speed 7000 RPM polisher. My Harbor Freight one has worked well. It's soft start and not too heavy. I have a big Dewalt grinder and another big Craftsman grinder and they wear me out.

Your mileage may vary.