All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Resources > Resources - Learning Material
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-12-2010, 11:36 PM

Default Ron Fournier's DVD's

Anybody ever buy any of Ron Fourniers videos? If so were they worth buying? Or any other Video's that are worth buying for that matter. Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks Rod
Old 04-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Administrator

The only DVDs I have purchased are Metalshaping 101 from Imperial Wheeling Machines and Autobody repair with Hand Tools from David Gardiner.

However, I have rented a number of videos from smartflix.com. A couple of Fournier's videos were among that batch, and they are as good as most of the other commercial offerings. There is a fair amount of knowledge there.

Ron Covell's videos provide a lot of information. Covell's videos usually inspire me to take a nap the first time through, so I end up watching them a few times to make sure I didn't miss anything. It's nothing personal with Mr. Covell either, it's just that way sometimes. I still don't think I've ever made it all the way through Van Helsing either.

The John Glover videos are very informative! Very dry, but very informative.

Some of Kent White's videos are really good! Some of them are more like commercials for his products (the Air Hammer Operations video, for example).

I'd like to see Fay Butler's videos besides just excerpts on YouTube.

I hope that helps a bit.

Tim D.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:47 PM

Default DVDs

I agree with Tims breakdown in general, and have viewed all the ones mentioned. However, I have never been able to stay awake during a Ron Fournier video - guy knows what he is talking about, but its like watching paint dry.

Perhaps if you had a specific area you were trying to find out more about, we could help direct you to a video.

John
Old 04-12-2010, 11:53 PM
Metalshaper of the Month, May 2010

The 101 DVD is great. David Gardiner's is great. Wray Schelin's is great. Covell's are very good generally though you want to pick a good topic. Some are pretty basic. Fournier's are like Dramamine to me although very informative.

I've never made it through a Kent White video.... too much completely useless theory and not enough work. I hate that. I know if you strike metal with a hammer it makes a dent by stretching. I don't care what molecular process it went through when I did it. Makes no difference. The dent is the same whether you know that stuff or not. Knowing the science of it won't make removing the dent easier. Knowing how to operate a slapper and dolly will.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleeser View Post
I've never made it through a Kent White video.... too much completely useless theory and not enough work. I hate that. I know if you strike metal with a hammer it makes a dent by stretching. I don't care what molecular process it went through when I did it. Makes no difference. The dent is the same whether you know that stuff or not. Knowing the science of it won't make removing the dent easier. Knowing how to operate a slapper and dolly will.

Those Doggone Reverses and the one about forming with a pressure washer - those were pretty good. The Fender Arches video isn't too bad. Otherwise, I agree with Grant on Kent's videos. That's why I said "some".

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure the only Fournier video I have seen was hammerforming WITH Ron Covell......don't which Ron put me to sleep on that one.

Since I've been working this 12-hour overnight shift, a nap on my day off is more likely than not any time I sit still for any length of time.

Tim D.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:46 AM

I got two or Ron's F's videos. One on basic metalshaping, and one on buck construction. The buck video was definitely the better of the two, but I am not sure that either was worth the price.

I think the best video I have seen is John Glover's, and it can be rented from SMARTFLIX, along with several others. Of the Kent White videos, I probably got the most from his 'Americans view of the English Wheel', but I must admit that it can be tough to stay awake while watching ANY of these videos.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:13 AM

David's is very good!
The BEST I have seen is Ron Covell's 36 ford rear fender. He shows building a buck.............making and finishing the fender
I also have Ron's MC gas tank build and the front track T nose both are very good.
John Glover's DVD litterly put me to sleep
Old 04-14-2010, 12:00 AM

Thank you guys for the post's. Tim, is Davids video a good one?

Rod
Old 04-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod S. View Post
Tim, is Davids video a good one?
One of the best, especially if automotive sheetmetal is your area of interest. Lots of hands on examples of how why and when.

For the hows and whys of metalshaping, I prefer Kerry's Metalshaping 101, even though Kerry has disagreed with me about that before. The most-watched DVD in my collection.

Let me rephrase my earlier answer, the only metalshaping DVDs I remember buying are David's and Kerry's. Terry Stolarski also put out a really good video on Pullmax tooling. I dug up a couple of Kent White's videos I had bought, but, obviously, forgot all about. Advanced Metalshaping with Colton Hardison (not really recommended) was a gift from a well-meaning friend.

Tim D.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:29 PM

Default Davids DVD

I ordered Davids Video yesterday! Thanks again guys for the input.....Tim i have looked and cant find Kerry's video does he still sell it?

Thanks Rod