All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-14-2021, 07:12 PM

Default power hammer

ok i love to fabricate so i have seen on ebay and i think on hear plans for a small power hammer it only has like 18 or 24 " depth perfect for most panels i would make any body ever made or used one of the home built types and what type of holder did you prefer. A nibbler uses a round tool post style and a pullmax uses a square i believe 19mm but not sure any thoughts suggestions thanks
Old 11-14-2021, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Are you talking about the desert hybrid machine. If so, it's not a power hammer. It, and Pullmaxes etc are reciprocating machines which push. Power hammers have an overstocked which stores energy on the upswing and release it on the down causing die to die impact. Die to die impact on a reciprocating machine breaks things internally.

Many people on this forum have built out own reciprocating machined.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:24 PM

you are correct kerry it would be a reciprocating machine a small version of a pullmax the shops i know of use p5 or the nibbler junior. niether ever use all the throat depth. all the used pullmax that i have seen are also 3phase wich my shop does not have. A power hammer is like a yoder Correct with the large springs at the top to absorb the energy?. new to some of this so learning the correct terminology as i go
Old 11-15-2021, 06:42 AM

Ty

Three-phase electric power is readily available from inverter-based phase converters. The one I used to power a 10" lathe cost less than $200.

JJ
Old 11-15-2021, 09:03 PM

ok thank s for the reply
Old 11-16-2021, 02:23 PM

Hello Ty,
The type of Hammer! That you want depends on what you want to do. This forum is full of great suggestions and advice, many pages. I am currently building a "Helve hammer"one the simplist power hammer designs around, look on site for plans. These are great for thumb nail shrinking and stretching. If you want to do forming (beads ,steps, folds ) then a reciprocating machine is what you need. Once again this site has lots of advice and designs . My two cents worth is that if you are thinking of building one then consider guage and type of material you are going to work when designing your machine.
Good luck in your ventures, Dave