All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-15-2020, 03:21 AM

Default Getting it spinning again.

Hello Hello again,

I was wondering if anyone had any tips in getting a wheeling machine spinning again.
Its a traditional style of wheel with the shaft running from the top wheel to the back with a bearing at the front of the machine. It spins but it is very stiff, ive greased it up but it is still very stiff.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I can only think of a new bearing. Not sure though,

Cheers,
Robbie
Old 05-15-2020, 07:20 AM

in presume it is an cast iron wheel if significantly old probably Babbitt bearings
if not bronze
you probably need to remove shaft and you have rust in the bearings or galling from lack of lube
Old 05-15-2020, 12:06 PM

Default Lubing

I don’t know what style of machine you have, but in cases where we have stuff that’s locked up, we’ll soak it in a bucket of diesel fuel or kerosene. So if you can, take a bucket and support it to soak the parts.

But I do agree Ken, your goal needs to be disassembly, cleaning and lubing.

John

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:13 PM

Acetone and Auto Trans fluid 50/50 mix really effective.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:31 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Robbie,

2 wks ago, I brought home my new-to-me but very old circa 1890 Putnam metal lathe . It turned smoothly but had some resistance. After blowing out all of the oiling holes with compressed air until they were as clean as possible, I used a lot of penetrating oil (liquid wrench because it was handy, but otherwise would use 50/50 aft/acetone) until it flowed relatively clean. The early stuff did flow very dark before flowing progressively cleaner. It flushed a lot out. I kept turning things by hand to draw the penetrating into the oiling holes.

I followed the clean penetrating oil with regular oil & more turning by hand until it dripped out and now it spins very well and easily. With a good twist by hand, the Headstock will now spin 2-3 revolutions by itself. The smaller shafts/lead screws also improved significantly.

The overall lathe was cleaned with only kerosene before I addressed the oil holes. I tried hard to avoid washing any trash into the oil holes or unplugging them at all. My lathe had apparently never been left outside and shows no play in the shafts or headstock, so I'm not as concerned about rust and poor babbits or bushings. Maybe yours will free up like mine(?) maybe not.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:04 PM

Yeah, it spins by hand but it won’t spin on its own, which I need it to do. The bearing has been oiled and looks to be in a decent condition but perhaps that shaft need cleaning.
I’m not very mechanical minded but it seems there is to much weight in that one bearing to spin that whole shaft. 🤷
Old 05-15-2020, 06:06 PM

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/English_wheel

This is the model I have.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:08 PM

if it is a plain bearing [ non rolling elements ] I doubt you will ever get much coast like one would expect with rolling element bearings
Old 05-17-2020, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hosford View Post
if it is a plain bearing [ non rolling elements ] I doubt you will ever get much coast like one would expect with rolling element bearings
What do you mean?

It has one bearing in the front of the machine but then the shaft just threads through the machine. Does that make sense at all?
Old 05-17-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie_11 View Post
What do you mean?

It has one bearing in the front of the machine but then the shaft just threads through the machine. Does that make sense at all?
Plain bearing would be similar to a bushing, no rolling elements......also similar to a engine bearing for a crankshaft or connecting rod, hope that makes sense? A lot of older machine tools used plain or Babbitt bearings for the spindles, will support heavy loads at low speed.