All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-29-2020, 05:09 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Default Street Rodder magazine index ???

Does anyone know if there’s an online index of sorts for Street Rodder magazine ? I’m looking for a certain article I remember reading 10 or 15 years ago. Thank you. ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 10-29-2020, 07:49 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

Use a description of the article in your search rather than the magazine name.

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:03 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Never found an index. The SR articles I've sought and found online are/were all on the hotrod website now. I searched using "Street Rodder" with some details (especially with names) from the desired article and have found most of them.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I subscribed to SR for 10-15 years until I got tired of articles that were nothing more than product placement by their advertisers. If I recall correctly, they had one issue a year with an article index.

I couldn't even give them away so they went to recycle.
Old 11-01-2020, 12:32 AM

Default What I did and why.

THANKS for the additional search ideas which did turn up some new information on early hemi engines but not the Street Rodder article I remembered reading. What I finally did after realizing the Street Rodder index was a fantasy was to search “street rodder” +”early hemi” on eBay. That search made me realize there were at least 7 articles covering early hemi engines in 1996 so I found someone selling the full 96 year for $20 and clicked the BUY button. There should be some good information within, regardless…….. I’ve pissed $$$ away on worst stuff.

The WHY. Some of you know I built a BBC powered Bantam coupe after coming home from Vietnam. I sold it in less than 2 years to finance going into the collision business. Then maybe 25 years ago I located and purchased another Bantam coupe body. For years I’ve been telling people if I ever built the second coupe it was going to be powered by an early hemi because that’s the engine most old racers used when drag racing them. So just last week I purchased someone’s 392 engine project. Who knows if my health will hold out long enough for me to ever get to it but it’s the reason for my sudden interest in early hemi information . ~ John Buchtenkirch
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BANTAM.jpg

bantam71.jpg

Hemi1.jpg

hemi4.jpg
Old 11-01-2020, 08:41 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Very cool. You will do a build thread, right?
Old 11-01-2020, 06:39 PM

I had to laf. I did the same in '65 only with a bantam roadster. Sold it for much the same reason. Two years ago found another (new) body to hang on the wall. But....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R1-03038-0018.jpg (85.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 11-02-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffrod View Post
Very cool. You will do a build thread, right?
Yes, for sure. I enjoy people’s comments, good & even bad, it helps to keep me from overlooking something. But don’t hold your breath, I’ve got a ton on my plate right now. I was pretty much back on my 33 three window project full time and had maybe 75 to 100 photos ready to post. Then mom passed on memorial day of all days, so now I’m deep into converting her house into rentals. At 72 I just don’t know how much longer I will be able to work or if I will even want to. But you can’t find early hemi engines (especially the 392) on a moment’s notice anymore so I’ve got the correct engine now, the correct body and even if I only end up keeping the Bantam project for some younger builder down the road……… well, that’s okay as well . ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 11-02-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norson View Post
I had to laf. I did the same in '65 only with a bantam roadster. Sold it for much the same reason. Two years ago found another (new) body to hang on the wall. But....
Looks like a pretty serious race car from back in the day. What time and mph did it run ?? Got any action photos ? My Bantam weighed 1960 lbs. with a steel coupe body so I’m guessing your car weighed under 1600 lbs. ? Thanks for posting. ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 11-03-2020, 01:39 PM

It weighed 1100 pounds on a truck scale. At that time it was weight to cu. in. Only one pass with no time before the money evaporated. The guy I sold it to put in a small block and won a lot. The frame was all gas welded chrome moly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R1-03040-0022.jpg (82.1 KB, 18 views)