All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-26-2018, 09:27 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

I ordered an aluminum canister for the vapor recovery system on the gas tank, so I'll take a break on that til it gets here. In the meantime, I need to get the air cleaner box to fit in here somewhere. It's unnessecarily huge and bulky but I want to keep as much of the OEM parts as possible. The MAF sensor is in this box also. I need to trim it down to size so here's one last lesson in automotive plastics.
There are about a dozen types of plastic used on cars and they all have their qualities and shortcomings. Most of what you'll find under the hood or in utility service will be either PP, ABS, PE, or PC.
PP is polyproylene. That's what the air cleaner box is made of. It's common to see it in components that need to be rigid and temperature resistant. It has similar properties to PE Polyethylene. They can very easily be cut and cleanly welded with heat. No cement required.
I set the finished pieces back together so you can see the original size. It was about 13" tall.
Also, any plastic part will have an ID stamp telling you what the material is. In this case you can see the "PP" circled.

Name:  1380.jpg
Views: 2122
Size:  51.8 KB

Name:  1381.jpg
Views: 1632
Size:  37.0 KB

The finished part below is a little less than 7" tall now. I welded inside and out and used some filler. You can buy this filler rod but I just use a box knife to shave a thin strip from the edge of some scrap material and use that to fill.
You can see in the close up that the weld is built up. At this point, if the part would be seen in the engine bay, you could file and sand this smooth, then go over the welds with a heat gun to smooth and gloss the surface.

Name:  1382.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  65.7 KB

Name:  1383.jpg
Views: 1404
Size:  49.0 KB

I used this Weller wood burner/Hobby iron to do the welding. It comes will an assortment of tips. The one that is still in the iron is the one I used to weld. The only advantage to the wood burner over the soldering iron is that the wood burner has a shorter stem which makes it easier to control.

Name:  1384.jpg
Views: 1404
Size:  41.9 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.

Last edited by Jack 1957; 11-26-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:14 AM

Jack, I just stumbled on your thread here and it's all really impressive work. I'm a bit of a Cadillac nut myself I have a 50 and 56, both in project state. Way to go!
Looking to build my own car from scratch
Old 11-28-2018, 10:40 AM

I had a discussion on air intakes with an expert in engine installations. He had shown me a intake design or configuration that baffled me. Over the next hour or so, I received a master's level seminar in intake design.

Won't go into detail but controlling the flow through the system to maintain flow rate, without significant compromise and control of intake noise was the critical issue.

For our interests, certainly make it work, but consider (measure?) twice before cutting once.

Jack, you're at the top of the game! Appreciate the effort and sacrifice of your thread! Good Man!
Old 11-28-2018, 12:06 PM

Marc, thanks for the input. I probably shouldn't have described the box as "unnessecarily huge and bulky". It's just huge and bulky. I'm no engineer but I'm familiar with the reasons for the size and shapes of these air cleaner boxes. I've test run late model cars with the boxes open and you can hear just about everything going on inside the engine, even the intake valves closing. The odd looking shapes help dampen surging and pulsing so the MAF sensor isn't going nuts trying to measure volume. The internal ribs and bends direct air flow and help stop telegraphing noises.
Most of what I'm doing here in merging old with new involves compromise. I have to locate this boxall the way up front just above the grill opening. I didn't want any of it showing through the grill as seen from the front. I never thought I would have so much trouble with space, but with all the CTS systems and plumbing, wiring, bells and whistles, plus the gigantic wheel tubs eating up a big chunk of my underhood real estate, it's become a challenge. It's like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole when there isn't even room for a round peg.
There will probably be some hissing or suction noise audible from the front of the car. If it's too anoying, I'll give it a second go.

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.

Last edited by Jack 1957; 11-30-2018 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:56 AM

Jack, You are classically humble which is a tribute to your character.

Resolving those issues to a level matching the work and expertise shown on your build thread reportedly takes equipment costing RBB (Really Big Bucks!) as the forces and factors one has to deal with are very small - but unfortunately, like the mouse that roared, makes lots of noise!

For the rest of us "lessor mortals" I wouldn't get too stressed if you can resolve an irritating noise of undeterminable origin!

Marc the
Old 12-05-2018, 10:49 PM

I have enough of the front end together to make a new lower valance. This will go from the core support, below the grill and forward to the bumper. I waited until I had the fender liners in so I could fit the valance to them at the outer ends.
This first half goes from the core support forward to the grill. I am making this valance in two pieces because it will need a 1" step up where the lower part of the grille will bolt in. The front half of the valance will be 1" higher than the rear half in order to conceal the grill mounting bolts.
I did all the bending on the bead roller. I won't weld up the flanges till I make the front half and fit them both into the car.

Name:  1385.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  62.5 KB

Name:  1386.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  31.8 KB

Name:  1387.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  30.6 KB

Old 12-06-2018, 08:59 PM

Front half of the valance. It fits well, just need to do the finish work next.

Name:  1388.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  65.5 KB

Old 12-09-2018, 10:59 PM

I am changing the grill so I'll have to modify the upper surround and I'll be moving the middle horizontal bar down a little to match the height of the body side trim. I'm also eliminating the vertical bars.
I'll have to make extentions for the vertical right and left areas of the frame. I cut a template and cut out two pices of 20ga steel.

Name:  1389.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  71.5 KB

Name:  1390.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  69.4 KB

This is a low buck 30" break, it works pretty well for what it is designed to do. A friend gave this to me, otherwise I wouldn't spend the money. Anything this will do, a bead roller will also do. Anyway, it gives a sharp bend which is usually desirable but in this case I need a larger radiused bend along the leadind edge of these extensions to match the OEM part that they will be welded to. I did the first partial bend, then slid the part out about 1/16", reclamped it and bent it the rest of the way.

Name:  1391.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  56.1 KB

Name:  1392.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  58.9 KB

Check the fit... I need a little more bend.

Name:  1393.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  26.3 KB

I got a good fit on both sides.

Name:  1394.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  22.9 KB

Name:  1395.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  43.3 KB

All welded up.

Name:  1396.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  69.1 KB

Old 12-11-2018, 04:30 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Coming along nicely there Jack.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:37 AM

I finished shaping the front body mouldings and welded in the mounting tabs on the back side. They are extensions of the side moldings and wrap around to the grill. Then the center grill bar will run side to side through the grill opening at the same height as these side moldings.
I'm not too sure about these. They looked right on the renderings but I'm not completely sold. I remember when Ray and I were working on this design we did about a dozen attempts at this front face before we decided on this one.
I'll leave it until I make the center grill bar and see what it looks like. I think I just need to trust the plan.

Name:  1399.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  71.9 KB

Name:  1400.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  73.7 KB