All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-12-2017, 08:03 AM

Wish you a prompt diversion on the other project as we will surely go into withdrawals from following along on this one!
Old 11-12-2017, 06:28 PM

Hello Marcus,

I like that Mock Up, it's probably never been done before.

Stop moving so fast, you're creating a breeze.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:28 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Door trims are next on the list of things to do. One set I already stripped of paint had hardly a scratch on it. The second set you can see they must have driven a lot with the window down and the elbow out the window. Get fined for doing that here now a days!

I needed the door lock button to come through the trim so tried a few different ways. The rear most one was using the donor piece but it jammed the button as the angle was not right. Tried a grommet and raised the metal to get it flatter, but still didn't like the look. So think I will go with the closest one with the flared hole.

To make the flare I practised on some scrap first. Ground the top of a tube, that had the inside diameter I wanted, to match the curve of the trim.

Then simply drove a rope splicing spike through the hole. Would be 35 years since I learnt this craft when doing my farrier training! Could also use a podgy or round bar shaped to suit as well.

Looks better than just a hole with a sharp edge.

The hole was drilled 10mm-3/8" with the final hole size of 13mm-1/2". I tapped the spike in a little from the backside as well to turn the flare outwards so an edge wouldn't dig into the button.

I think this gives a neater finish than the grommets.

Using a different frame for the front and rear sections to make up the 115mm-4.5" longer doors, meant the mounting holes in the middle were unevenly spaced. Originally thought I could live with that when I cut them this way, but turns out I can't!

Using my trusty old cobbler's hammer, I hammered the flare flat from the inside. Also noted the now smaller hole size to help with making a new depression later.

A quick tack over a big old brass cable lug fills the hole. You can see how the underside of the top piece comes out using this technique.

Pieces clamped down to the bench to keep it all aligned while welding.

Now to make the new counter sink depression match the factory ones. I used the centre punch pictured and hammered it over a bar I drilled to match the outside diameter of the flare I wanted.

The bar was drilled offset slightly to still centre under the hole between the trim edges. Bar was ground to match the trim and held in the vice like the lock button hole.

The trim was also placed face down on the bench and hammered with the drilled bar to make the flare more distinct. Factory flare above with test piece below.

Holes now evenly spaced.

I noticed the doors would change alignment too easily since the piece between the inner and outer sides was cutout for the one piece window conversion. I needed a way to brace the ends around the back of the window channel so I made up this piece to do it.

I fitted a similar piece at both ends even though it was only braced at the front before. This was welded in later and it stopped all the movement I had and the doors hold their shape now.

Trim now finished. I also added an extra mounting screw along the top as well. Needed to weld in a saddle into the frame for the screw to go into, like the stock ones had, otherwise the screw would go right through to the outside!
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:29 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2019

Been watching from the get-go. Beautiful yet simple solutions for everything. Should I ever take on a similar project I'll be back to read this thread from end to end. Love it, and looking forward to seeing the finished job.

Will

William Pointer
Old 12-04-2017, 08:40 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Hi Marcus

Nicely done! Thanks for all the steps, I will be needing to do that for the trim on my extended cab truck.

Steve
Old 12-04-2017, 10:09 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Bloody keen, Marcus.

Keep your elbows in then, when the window is down, while driving.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 12-05-2017, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyBill View Post
Been watching from the get-go. Beautiful yet simple solutions for everything. Should I ever take on a similar project I'll be back to read this thread from end to end. Love it, and looking forward to seeing the finished job.

Will
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hamilton View Post
Hi Marcus

Nicely done! Thanks for all the steps, I will be needing to do that for the trim on my extended cab truck.

Steve
Thanks Will and Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Bloody keen, Marcus.

Keep your elbows in then, when the window is down, while driving.
Glad I fitted airconditioning.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:00 AM

This is the harness from the donor I need to add. There is no way the rubber part will squeeze down to the 5mm gap I have between the door and the A pillar, nor do I want such big holes in either side.

My idea is to have a hole only big enough for the round corrugated part to slide in and out of on the A pillar side. By removing the plastic housing the boot ends fitted on, the plugs pass through sideways and the wide part of the boot fits through once rolled up.

I have drilled a hole 14mm-9/16" smaller than the round part of the boot in the A pillar. I made this tool to flare the hole.

The slot fits over the edge of the hole like this.

Then you pull up a little bit at a time and work your way around the hole. The T handle works well making sure the slot is always bottomed out while pulling on it. I used the small mallet to help it around as the flare got over about 45*. Could also hit against the underside of handle to pull the hole level if it sank in at all.

Once nearly there I tapped through the hammer which was the size I wanted in the end. Helped round the hole a bit more too.

It left a 7mm-1/4" flare which will stop the corrugated part of the boot getting caught as it goes in and out while using the door.

Once the flare was finished I was able to pass a holesaw right through and drill out the other side of the A pillar to get the wires and plugs through. So the hole at the start was 29mm-1.1/8". The 10mm-3/8" slot opened up the hole to 43mm-1.11/16", 14mm bigger. I had done a test hole first to see what I would end up with. But the slot needs to be half the depth you want the diametre to increase by, plus about 2.5 times the material thickness.

With the plugs all the way through the A pillar and the wide part of the boot inside it, you can push and pull the boot in and out even on the angles it will see with the door opening and closing without it catching.

Now the door side I don't want to move so I want the final hole size to be the small diameter of the corrugated grooves. I am still going to make a small flare so the edge of the hole doesn't cut through the boot over time. Notice the angled cut along with the other one on top.

The angled cut is so I can start the flare and clear the hinge and the edge of the door. I switch to the other slot once about halfway done flaring.

So this hole was 25mm-1" to start with it ended up at 33mm-1.5/16", 8mm-5/16" bigger. This was with a 5mm-3/16" slot and with a 4mm-5/32" deep flare.

With the big oval part of the boot inside the door and the depth of the flare inside the narrowest part of the boot grooves, it sits there firmly.

A this is how it looks when all in place. Can also just make out one of the plugs in the cavity inside the kick panel area once it has passed right through the A pillar. To remove the door I simply unplug from there and pull the boot through followed by the plugs and only takes a minute or so.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:01 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

That's quite the nifty tool there Marcus.
Thanks.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 12-10-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
That's quite the nifty tool there Marcus.
Thanks.
Very clever tipping tool!