All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-04-2020, 06:36 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

As always, great stuff.

I like and appreciate your thought processes very much. Over the years as a chef, my goal was to learn more about the physics and chemistry of cooking than specific recipes or methods. With adequate comprehension of cause and effect, much of any given process is better within reach. I would like to do the same with metal. Threads and Posts like yours are helping. Thank you, Marcus.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:06 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Thanks guys for the comments.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:07 PM

Now to make some brackets to support the tray, recovery hooks and bumper. I bought some 100x50mm-4"x2" C channel. I prefer C channel over U channel as the flanges are parallel rather than tapered. I couldn't have any bolts through it without making a levelling wedge first with U channel.

I could not buy angle in the size I wanted and got the bonus of thicker flanges too. The very ends have been tapered to 6* to match the bumper flange angles as they will be bolted through them. I left the flange as long as I could to give lateral support from any off centre pulling on the hooks.

Back in 2012, before boxing the chassis, I had welded some 10mm-3/8" thick bar in place ready to accept drilling and tapping of the bumper brackets! There is a total of three M12 10.9 bolts holding each bracket onto the chassis.

As I have made the tray level so the hooks are not on a downward 6* angle, I needed to bend down the tray edge where it tucks under the bumper flange. After shrinking the tray flanges at each end, I hammered with the bolster along the line with the tray upside down and over the rubber mat.

All bolted in place for the first time.

Technically the bumper is 40mm-1.5" further forward than stock as that is how much I moved the grille forward. But I think it looks just right at that distance.

Bumper is just clamped in place at the moment and still have to drill and bolt it on.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:18 AM

I don't think I like the way it is looking! The grille slots maybe too tall and Kenworth Truck like? Looks a little vacant or naked?

Even one doesn't help even once extended to across all slots like stock.

Three is what came on my 58 donor Willys. Obviously the top bar sits a bit higher than this.

Five is what the 52 grille that makes up part of the panels had. Maybe too busy?

Maybe I should be different and do four which none of the models had? It is Lisa's favorite and don't mind it myself. All bars would be made to cover all the grille slots and the spacing would end up slightly wider once the top is in its correct position. Thoughts?

Or I am now thinking of cutting up the grille and reducing the height of the slots back to stock height and adding the 50mm-2" instead below the slots so it matches the distance between the slots and the top of the grille!

My wife thinks it might be because you can see through too easily. Maybe it just needs some black mesh directly behind the grille bars and no horizontal bars then needed?

Last edited by Gojeep; 04-05-2020 at 05:45 AM.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:32 AM

Marcus,

I wonder about the contrast. You're looking at a black radiator or black screen behind bare metal. Weren't you thinking Green for body color?

FWILL (For What It Looks Like!)
Old 04-05-2020, 07:18 AM

Sounds like a dab of photo editing like on the first page is in order. I can conjure different setups for you that way if you wish. To my eye, it is the Rolls Royce look of the grille acting as the visual hangnail. I don't know the difference between 48s with peaked and flat grilles or why or which have it or horizontal bars but thats what looks out of place to this guy. Both the peak and the bars. I think plain flat grilles are good looking. My thought is that four horizontals (if any) does look best and it is possible that between the number of those and the vertical slot height, there could be a "sweet spot". Too many straight lines around the grille for me. Just slots and mesh sounds good though.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:29 AM

Default Grill trim

I'm not a fan of the additional grill trim, looks to busy/ dressy. But of course, it's your vehicle and your decision.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:56 AM

Default Awesome

Awesome as always.I prefer the grill as is over the added horizontal bars.
Simplicity. Less is more.
If anything then I believe more in your thoughts of reducing the heights of the slots.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:17 PM

Today I think I will reduce the height of the slots back to stock height and then I can raise the tray and bumper in front of it until I hit that sweet spot, hopefully. I'd rather no bars as think the most iconic part of a Jeep grille is seeing the slots uninterrupted.

For reference, this was I shot I took with the 48 grille on the left and the 58 grille on the right. My grille on the bench after I added the extra slots but not yet the 2" each side between the slots and the headlamps.

Old 04-06-2020, 07:28 AM

Default front grill

Hi Marcus, I think the present grill draws the eye to the bonnet grill line which isn't as flattering as it could be. With the top cross bar pictured, raised to just below the bonnet line and the full width of the V shaped front, the bonnet will seem to overhang like a lip setting the grill back in. With the other 3 cross pieces spaced and extended similarly I think it will look like it was meant to be. It is just an opinion of course. PS I love the thread.