All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-09-2021, 03:52 PM

Default Bend Allowance and Set Back

This questions is more for the aircraft guys but anyone who has experience with this please chime in.
What is the common practice for making aircraft parts to print when bends are involved? I see charts on bend allowance and hear about set back and fancy calculations involved. Is all this necessary? Currently I use a press brake at work and just use the test strip method - 1" wide piece, bend, measure, add or subtract as needed on the bends, try again. I usually get it dialed-in in around three strips. I do this because the engineers hand me a drawing from solidworks and it never comes out. So now I just use the drawing as a starting point. I see the aircraft guys have cool calculations that overcome all this. Is that the way it is always done? Or are their tricks involved that skips the calcs?
Old 03-09-2021, 04:21 PM

If your Solidworks guys are giving you drawings that don’t come right on the flat patterns, do some test pressings on various thicknesses of materials and get the internal bend radii measured and give them back to the draughtsman. He can change the setting in Solidworks and you should then get correct flat patterns. I normally program a bend sequence into my press brake and then tell my draughtsman what the developed length is. Sometimes he has to tweak the K factor but we normally get it to work. A lot of it depends if you are air bending or coining the folds and also what your tool nose radii are but you should be able to remove some of the trial and error by getting your heads together. Hope that helps.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:13 PM

Thanks!, that will help for my current job.
I would like to hear from some of the aircraft guys also, using pan brakes, tricks or industry practice when it comes to bend allowance and set back. I might be taking a job in the aircraft industry and would like to know some hints, tips, and tricks if possible.