All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-02-2019, 03:56 PM

Beautiful!!!
Old 11-03-2019, 12:39 PM

Marcus,

Have another clever solution to installing a lock on the hitch pin and/or jack mechanism.

Here in California, you frequently see trucks driving down the road with the hoist cable dangling cuz the spare has been stolen.

Same for retaining the hitch insert, FWIW
Old 11-03-2019, 06:46 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Many small victories equal a big one in the end.

Video update.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Thank you for taking the time to comment. Many small victories equal a big one in the end.

Video update.
Excellent video update! Really puts the big picture on all of the small details you have figured out. I now need to go find the 12 prior videos and binge watch.

How will you access the battery once the body is back on? From below or is there a cab floor hatch?

This is one of my favorite threads on the net and thank you for sharing.

-larry
Old 11-06-2019, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry4406 View Post
Excellent video update! Really puts the big picture on all of the small details you have figured out. I now need to go find the 12 prior videos and binge watch.

How will you access the battery once the body is back on? From below or is there a cab floor hatch?

This is one of my favorite threads on the net and thank you for sharing.

-larry
Here you go Larry, they are all in a play list. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...13IPnXM81a8D45

I will be fitting and removing the battery from underneath. Will have to drop the exhaust though but my batteries last 6-9 years as leave them on a maintenance charger as soon as I park at home. Have them permanently installed so only have to plug in. The battery will be under the front part of the bed floor, so could make a hatch if I wanted too.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:39 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Always good thinking, Marcus. Love the detail work.

I am interested in the point you raise about taking pics before grinding for future reference by a certifying engineer if needed. Is there a complicated or expensive process in AU for putting a custom built vehicle like this on the road?

Some states here in the USA are more strict than others regarding projects like this. Others don't even have a vehicle inspection....
Old 11-07-2019, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffrod View Post
Always good thinking, Marcus. Love the detail work.

I am interested in the point you raise about taking pics before grinding for future reference by a certifying engineer if needed. Is there a complicated or expensive process in AU for putting a custom built vehicle like this on the road?

Some states here in the USA are more strict than others regarding projects like this. Others don't even have a vehicle inspection....
Every weld, bolt head for grade and size, compatibility of components working together etc, etc, all has to be certified before we can get registration here. It will be a lengthy and expensive exercise. That is why I am using as much as possible from the donor as then there is no question of all those parts working together. Using all the donor floor means the seat belt and seat anchor points are already been approved by the manufacturer, so be easier to get it passed again. Same thing with the firewall with the brake and column mounts etc.
Was also the reason for using as much of the Willys chassis, must have both rails and at least two cross members, as otherwise it would be tested as a new vehicle build! All safety equipment, emissions etc are all determined by the chassis age as well.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:44 AM

Wow
They kind of discourage Hot rodding and experimentation don't they.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:46 AM

On the Other Hand, it could be all about personal responsibility and public safety!

I was walking with my Gal down the sidewalk about 50 years ago when a car broke the front suspension. Car to the left, suspension assembly, wheel to the right, two filled diapers in the middle.

I was living right - at least for that moment!
Old 11-07-2019, 01:28 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Bourget View Post
On the Other Hand, it could be all about personal responsibility and public safety!

I was walking with my Gal down the sidewalk about 50 years ago when a car broke the front suspension. Car to the left, suspension assembly, wheel to the right, two filled diapers in the middle.

I was living right - at least for that moment!
So, it sounds like the concept of a "Redneck Roundup" probably isn't going to be hijacked to AU anytime soon...

Seriously- Some states here are pretty strict about motor vehicles. Others aren't and will tolerate quite a lot of "freedom of expression", even though many "free" states tend to be more conservative (lifestyle & politics stuff) while the liberal states tend to be rule-heavy about vehicles. Kinda weird. Others are in between and only care about vehicles within a set time frame.

No matter, your professionalism is quite a benchmark for us to follow. Thanks for sharing so much, Marcus.