All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-28-2020, 12:58 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Hi Joel
The welding practice is paying dividends. Those welds look really nice!
Steady progress helps to keep the enthusiasm up.

thanks for sharing

Steve
Old 05-28-2020, 01:40 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Post Transaxle Update

As you might recall, I’m using a custom built transaxle in the Miura. I have a friend that’s building it for me and he recently sent some progress pictures.

This case holds 2, 11” diameter gears to transfer power to the transmission. The flywheel, clutch, and throw-out bearing are standard items but bell housing is purpose built. Pete Aardema, the master mind behind this creation is busy at work on it. Kevin Braun, the master machinist who CNC carved the pieces from aluminum billet took the pictures.

A Tremec TKO 5 speed transmission is sandwiched in the middle.

Hanging off the purpose built tail shaft housing is the final drive housing. The posi-traction differential unit has yet to be mounted but goes in the large end of final drive case. A standard Ford 8.8 posi-traction differential will be used but with custom gears instead of a ring and pinion. The final drive gears are helical cut gears with the small gear mounting directly on the transmission tail shaft and large gear on differential.

Still to be worked out is the transmission shifter. It will be a cable shift of some sort and goes in the top of the tail shaft housing. The close fit up to the exhaust ports and thus headers is obvious and will be a challenge.

The starter motor has to be placed on the opposite side of the engine from where the Ford factory normally puts it. That’s because the starter’s normal spot now has a transmission located in it.

More updates as progress continues …
Old 05-28-2020, 02:29 PM

When there is a will there is a way! Definitely much clearer vision of what you are creating and how to squeeze that big engine sideways into such a small place and get the power to the differential. Too bad more magazines / websites aren't tracking what you are doing given all the innovative (and original) thinking in regard to the chassis construction methods and how this engine / gearbox works as well. You still have a LOT of work ahead of you to get this finished in the next few years and on the road!
Old 05-29-2020, 05:03 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Wow, very impressive engineering there!
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:43 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Amazing build!
Old 05-30-2020, 07:24 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2009

Hi Joel.Looking at your photos I am impressed.It looks like the shifter might be a tough one to solve.It looks like the number 3 exhaust port is pointed right at the area where your shifter tower will be.You may want to consider moving the shifter mech to the other end of the trans near the 3/4 slider is. It would require either a modification to the existing TKO top cover or fabing a new one along with the 3 selector blocks.I don't have a TKO apart to illustrate right now but I believe it is doable and would simplify the shifter issue as there is plenty of real estate towards the flywheel side of the engine .It also would keep you from having to compromise your exhaust header design.Bob.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:41 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Very cool. I've been a fan of what Pete Aardema does for many years. Sure is great to see what you're creating and the resources & expertise being incorporated into the project.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkolenda View Post
Hi Joel.Looking at your photos I am impressed.It looks like the shifter might be a tough one to solve.It looks like the number 3 exhaust port is pointed right at the area where your shifter tower will be.You may want to consider moving the shifter mech to the other end of the trans near the 3/4 slider is. It would require either a modification to the existing TKO top cover or fabing a new one along with the 3 selector blocks.I don't have a TKO apart to illustrate right now but I believe it is doable and would simplify the shifter issue as there is plenty of real estate towards the flywheel side of the engine .It also would keep you from having to compromise your exhaust header design.Bob.
Bob: I think what you're suggesting is likely the most viable approach to shifter challenge. I realise this is a big ask, but it would be great to get more detail on your idea. Even a pencil drawing showing basic design would help if you could do something like that.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Amazing build!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Wow, very impressive engineering there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffrod View Post
Very cool. I've been a fan of what Pete Aardema does for many years. Sure is great to see what you're creating and the resources & expertise being incorporated into the project.

Yes, I put Pete Aardema and Kevin Braun in the "Gearhead Genius" category. I'm really glad they offered to help me with this project as all the other OEM options felt like a real compromise.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:58 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2018, July 2022

Incredible job. I take my hat off to you. Bravo.