All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-04-2021, 07:54 PM

Default New guy in Northern California

I'm a bit of a dabbler in making stuff, alsways had an interest in arts and crafts. I've been working with wood for most of my life.

I tinkered with cars first to save money as a broke student and then later for fun and practicality. Got into home repair for much the same reason, first to save money later because I kind of like doing it.

One of my hobbies is model making and that brought me to machining a couple years ago, first just little machines for model making, later bigger ones came along because making stuff on the machines was fun and has become a hobby in its own right.

I started taking welding classes a couple years ago, mostly for my car projects. I've got an old Toyota Landcruiser, and an old Dodge fire engine both of which will need some body work which is where the welding came in. As has happened with other skills, the welding has become a bit more than just doing a patch or two. I don't know how I managed to get along for the first 50 years without a welder.

Earlier this year I bought a small (15") English wheel to form some simple panels on the Landcruiser. That led me to exploring metal shaping to find out how to use it. That led to attending a local event near by in Willits. The skills demonstrated there were miles over my head but it was a great time and has opened up another rabbit hole to go down leading me here...
Old 10-05-2021, 01:45 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_W View Post
I'm a bit of a dabbler in making stuff, alsways had an interest in arts and crafts. I've been working with wood for most of my life.

I tinkered with cars first to save money as a broke student and then later for fun and practicality. Got into home repair for much the same reason, first to save money later because I kind of like doing it.

One of my hobbies is model making and that brought me to machining a couple years ago, first just little machines for model making, later bigger ones came along because making stuff on the machines was fun and has become a hobby in its own right.

I started taking welding classes a couple years ago, mostly for my car projects. I've got an old Toyota Landcruiser, and an old Dodge fire engine both of which will need some body work which is where the welding came in. As has happened with other skills, the welding has become a bit more than just doing a patch or two. I don't know how I managed to get along for the first 50 years without a welder.

Earlier this year I bought a small (15") English wheel to form some simple panels on the Landcruiser. That led me to exploring metal shaping to find out how to use it. That led to attending a local event near by in Willits. The skills demonstrated there were miles over my head but it was a great time and has opened up another rabbit hole to go down leading me here...

Welcome Aaron.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.