All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-13-2022, 12:46 PM

Default 175lb "filler patch"

Just had to ad this comment. 1957 Cadillac: couldn't figure why the trunk was flat from Qt panel to Qt panel. Yes it was filler with plaster of Paris 2" deep in the center. Trunk drops full also. The body man said it went out the same way in came in. The real shame, it was owned by John Mesmoore aka "The Finn Man. Specializing in "57" Cadillac premium restoration.
Old 07-13-2022, 01:03 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslav View Post
Yes Kent. When two do the same thing, it's not always the same thing.
I learned my skills by working alongside other master craftsmen.
For years, I did aluminum, steel, stainless, brass, copper ... for painting and polishing and plating, alongside men who Knew.
When they were pleased, then I was pleased.
No substitutions, for me, unless I could find "better." (And then, They were Pleased!)
Very few - single digits - times I threw away.
Once - was finally successful on 4th try to duplicate very difficult polished panel - (original Hughes Aircraft) men had troubles I could see on original.
2024 T3.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:59 PM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Kent, I enjoy consulting procedures, thinking and learning, sharing ideas. Difficult tasks teach you to think. I'll tell you the process. Those who do not want to share or give advice are not experts, even if they can do the job. He is morally 0. Mostly he can't and that's why he doesn't give advice. They are afraid that someone will be better. That his arm and head would hurt more than his. It's laughable.
But I am bothered by experts who are well paid and do bad work.
I don't know who did the Porsche - homework or a company?
Don't be afraid to say it. A lot of things don't work out for us either, but we can find a solution after a consultation. A true attitude will always solve a technical problem in the desired direction.
Diplomacy and lies belong in the office...
Old 07-13-2022, 07:16 PM

20220713_174349.jpg

20220713_174339.jpg

Using your advice with my limited tools I have managed to transform the bulge into a ridge outlined in red with black line along peak. I used map gas torch and a radiused hammer along with a nylon Eastwood sandbag ball hammer. This ridge is very stiff and am unable to shrink. To get anything behind except a thin short truck spring would require cutting out a section of inner panel. Is it sacreligious to slice along black line to relieve whatever and hopefully get it down then weld up?
Old 07-13-2022, 09:01 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamcar View Post
Attachment 63843

Attachment 63844

Using your advice with my limited tools I have managed to transform the bulge into a ridge outlined in red with black line along peak. I used map gas torch and a radiused hammer along with a nylon Eastwood sandbag ball hammer. This ridge is very stiff and am unable to shrink. To get anything behind except a thin short truck spring would require cutting out a section of inner panel. Is it sacreligious to slice along black line to relieve whatever and hopefully get it down then weld up?
Very good work.
You are "piling up" the mischief.
Two choices: (Nearly equal, but I expect heat to be a superior force, in this wreck) ...
1) Back up the ridge firmly with either a small tight lead (Pb) shotbag and thump smartly 4-5 times along the ridge with your ideal steel body hammer. If it is too hard to go down, then heat is needed. ( CAUTION: Overdoing by smashing away on the problem yields a Mess. 4-5 blows will show you "yes" or "stop.")
2) Using heat requires the #2 tip, sharp 1/4in inner cone, "track dolly" (looks like an artistic piece of RR track), and your ideal hammer.
Hold the track dolly by the small "handhold" end, and Firmly lift the wide curve face UP against the back of the ridge, heat a thin line along the peak of the ridge, 4 seconds should do, Blue Heat on this steel, and firmly smack down on the ridge - 4/5 blows and no more = stop.

Let me know. (your plumber torch provides too soft and blowy a flame for precise immediate heating. ... kind of like serving butter slices with a ladle.

This is precise work, requiring precise heats, strikes, and tools.
Otherwise, a brick and a hibachi are just fine ....
Good Luck,

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.

Last edited by crystallographic; 07-13-2022 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-13-2022, 10:19 PM

Serving butter slices with a ladle.
Kent,
I believe I enjoy your posts more then any on the forum
You make me chuckle and you have great advice and fantastic pictures.
Old 07-14-2022, 08:37 AM

Thanks Kent

I have a track dolly but no room to get it behind without cutting out inner panel. I have a thin dolly that I cut off the handle end that has simlar shape as track. Will post pic. Can borrow ox acet torch but not sure about tips. Will try to get small shot bag.
Old 07-14-2022, 08:54 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

That pneumatic hammer would handle that bend.
Of course, putty will be needed. I'm assuming a large layer of metal stuck together. Bad welded part. The welder was gluing.
With air pressure, you regulate the blow and shape exactly where you need it. You finish with a hand hammer.
Old 07-14-2022, 10:38 AM

20220714_100003.jpg

These are some of possble tools I could use.
Thinking of a small shot pouch that I could force between inner panel under ridge.
Old 07-14-2022, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Phil, If you search for 'doughnut dolly' or 'donut dolly',, you should find some threads. Basically, it can be used to support the whole area while the center is tapped down.