All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-03-2013, 04:31 PM

Default Looking for some advice on this.

I know this really isn't sheet metal but I was hoping to get a little advice on it. I am working on a swingarm for a motorcycle and I am modding it a little. I started out with this.

I then cut out the original shock mount for it because I will be using dual rear shocks and the arm was shortened. It now looks like this.

After cutting out the shock mounts the arms sprung in some. I am not sure if it was 1 or both, I didn't get to check it out yet. I need to put some sheet metal back into it right in front of the wheel. It will be something like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Aerm...-/230680236215

My question is would you try and get the arms back to where they were before the brace get put in or put it back into position and weld the brace in and then deal with any spring afterwards. I do have blanks that go into the eccentric holders and a bar that goes across that held them in place when they got welded in. When this is in everything can be held to where it was before the mount got cut out. It really would have worked out better if the arms would have sprung out instead of in but there is nothing I can do about it. Thanks.

Last edited by oxford; 05-05-2013 at 11:20 AM.